History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St George

A Grade II* Listed Building in Thwaite, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2709 / 52°16'15"N

Longitude: 1.0964 / 1°5'46"E

OS Eastings: 611358

OS Northings: 268153

OS Grid: TM113681

Mapcode National: GBR TK3.N03

Mapcode Global: VHL9S.Y5GZ

Entry Name: Church of St George

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032261

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281672

Location: Thwaite, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Thwaite

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Stoke Ash with Thwaite

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Wetheringsett

Listing Text

THWAITE CHURCH LANE
TM 16 NW
3/87 Church of St George
29.7.55

-- II*
Parish church. Medieval, restored c.1870 and 1904. Nave, chancel, south
porch. A west tower once existed. Flint rubble, stone dressings. Chancel
has knapped flint facing of c.1870 to south and east. Red brick porch.
Plaintiled roof with ridge tiles. Nave has mainly C14 windows with 2-centred
and pointed segmental arches; most are original. One renewed square-headed
C15 window to south. To west, a moulded doorway has original doors with
remains of tracery; above is a 3-light window with cusped intersecting
tracery. West end largely rebuilt c.1870 when bell turret was added. C14
south doorway, also moulded, retains original door. Good porch of c.1500 has
moulded entrance arch on shafted jambs; over the entrance is a blocked cusped
niche. Small incomplete 2-light side windows. Original arch-braced roof with
embattled wallplates and collars; each of the 6 wallposts terminates in a
carved head. North wall of chancel has an original lancet window of c.1200.
South chancel has 2 C14 and C15 windows, the latter square-headed and
original, and a restored Priest's doorway with narrow 2-centred arch. 3-light
east window with reticulated tracery. Interior. 7-bay hammerbeam nave roof,
probably C15, with moulding and embattled ornament to wallplates and
hammerbeams; the braces between the hammerbeams and principal rafters have
sweeping curves. The nave is said to have been re-roofed in 1904 re-using old
material, although it is possible only the 2 narrower bays at the west end are
of this date. Chancel roof ceiled over; moulded and embattled wallplates. At
north west nave the doorway to former tower stair has original door. Simple
2-centre arched piscina and adjacent drop-sill sedilia. Font, perhaps of
c.1400, has octagonal bowl with traceried panels. Fine C15 pulpit, each side
carved with 2 ogee-arched panels and pierced quatrefoils below; the base is
original. Reading desk re-uses late C16 carved woodwork. Simple pine benches
of c.1870.


Listing NGR: TM1135868153

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.