History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Braiseworth, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2984 / 52°17'54"N

Longitude: 1.134 / 1°8'2"E

OS Eastings: 613792

OS Northings: 271322

OS Grid: TM137713

Mapcode National: GBR TJR.ZFH

Mapcode Global: VHL9M.LHVD

Entry Name: Former Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Last Amended: 14 July 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032276

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281598

Location: Braiseworth, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Braiseworth

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Eye St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Occold

Listing Text

BRAISEWORTH PRIORY LANE
TM 17 SW
1/13 Former Church of St. Mary
29.7.55 (formerly listed as
Church of St Mary
(Mortuary Chapel))

-- II*
Chancel of former parish church, now disused. C12 core with early C14
alterations. Flint rubble with remains of render; stone dressings. West end
of C19 red brick. Plaintiled roof. To north west, a C12 lancet window and a
larger trefoil-headed lancet adjacent. South wall has square-headed C15
window of 2 lights and a simple early C14 Priest's doorway. Blocked window to
south east, the splay visible internally. East end rebuilt c.1300 with a Y-
traceried window. At west end, small portions of nave walls have been
retained as buttresses. Interior. Coupled-rafter roof with straight collar
braces and ashlar pieces: a few replacement timbers, otherwise medieval. 2-
centre arched piscina with credence shelf. Small trefoil-headed niche to
north of east window. On west wall, Arms of George III (very faded) and
framed C18 copies of the Lord's Prayer, Commandments and Creed. To each side
of east window are very faint painted panels which contained the Creed and
Lord's Prayer; these are probably early C17. Effigy brass to Alexander Newton
(1569). This was superseded by a new church in 1858, into which the nave
doorways were incorporated (qv Item 1/2). It was latterly used as a cemetery
chapel.


Listing NGR: TM1379271322

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.