History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Cooperage

A Grade II Listed Building in Debenham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2263 / 52°13'34"N

Longitude: 1.1812 / 1°10'52"E

OS Eastings: 617360

OS Northings: 263442

OS Grid: TM173634

Mapcode National: GBR VM3.KF6

Mapcode Global: VHLB1.F99P

Entry Name: The Old Cooperage

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Last Amended: 24 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032307

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281471

Location: Debenham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Debenham

Built-Up Area: Debenham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Debenham St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Debenham

Listing Text

DEBENHAM ASPALL ROAD
TM 16 SE
6/47 No.12 (The Old Cooperage)
9/12/55 ( formerly listed under
Bridge Place as The Old
Cooperage)
GV II

House. In 2 parts: C15 or early C16 cross-wing gable end to street with later
C16 addition to left. Timber framed and plastered, plaintiled roof. At rear
the cross-wing is weatherboarded and pantiled. 2 storeys with attic in later
part. 3 windows, C19 casements without glazing bars. Ground floor has a
large-paned tripartite sash window to left and in the gable end a full-width
C19 workshop window. Mid C20 plank door. One flat-roofed dormer. 2 internal
stacks in cross-wing and another at gable end of left range. Interior.
Cross-wing in 5 bays, originally jettied at front. Heavy joists exposed in
some bays. Widely-spaced studding with tension braces in front gable end;
arched-braced tie beams. Evidence for paired doorways into front two rooms
from a cross-passage where the later section adjoins. Against this cross-
passage is a good plank and muntin partition. C16 addition has plain first
floor studding and a chamfered-joist ceiling and open fireplace on the ground
floor. Over the upper fireplace is a design painted on plaster depicting a
central Tudor rose and sinuous strands of foliage with flowers. Roofs not
fully examined; coupled rafters over rear 2 bays of cross-wing. This house
was one of two which survived a serious fire in this part of the village in
1744.


Listing NGR: TM1736063442

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.