This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2251 / 52°13'30"N
Longitude: 1.1809 / 1°10'51"E
OS Eastings: 617349
OS Northings: 263316
OS Grid: TM173633
Mapcode National: GBR VM3.KCF
Mapcode Global: VHLB1.FB5K
Entry Name: Flemings Antiques
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Last Amended: 24 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1032327
English Heritage Legacy ID: 281520
Location: Debenham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Debenham
Built-Up Area: Debenham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Debenham St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
DEBENHAM HIGH STREET (west side)
TM 16 SE
6/96 Fleming's Antiques & Post
9.12.55 Office (formerly listed
as Post Office; Barclay's
Bank; Premises adjoining
Barclay's Bank on S.side)
Originally guildhall of Holy Trinity, now antique dealers premises. Mid C15;
Post Office is later addition, perhaps C17. Timber framed, the facade mainly
roughcast-rendered, part to left plastered. Plaintiled roof, the tiles on the
rear slope of concrete. 2 storeys with small attic. The guildhall was
jettied to front and rear, now mostly underbuilt except for a small portion to
rear with 2 original brackets. Various windows of C19 and C20. Fleming's
Antiques has an early C19 bowed shopfront: 2 windows each with 24 panes;
central doorway with mid C20 semi-glazed door in 2 leaves, oblong overlight
with geometric glazing bars. Flat-roofed open porch on square timber posts;
above is a nameboard in the form of an elaborate cartouche. Disused doorway
to centre. Post Office has a flush 15-paned shop window and C20 semi-glazed
door; 2 small-paned mid C20 casements above. 2 internal stacks, the earlier
one to left with plain axial shaft. Interior. The guildhall is in 4 bays;
the ground floor was divided into 2 equal rooms and the upper floor was a
single full-length room, open to the roof. It was unheated. Ceiling of
ground floor has heavy plain joists. Exposed studding in south gable end on
upper floor. North gable end has original first floor doorway with 4-centred
arch. Fine 2-tier roof. Cambered tie beams with arched braces rising from
buttress-shafts on the wallposts. The tie beams carry queen-posts, plain
except for chamfers on the inner face, which are braced to the arcade plates.
Cambered upper tie beams carry short chamfered crown-posts with 4-way bracing.
C16 stack inserted in 3rd bay from south. Interior of Post Office not
examined. Referred to as 'the new hall' of the Gild of the Holy Trinity in a
Bloodhall Manor rental of 1463. The guildhall facade is described in c.1850
as having been herringbone brick nogged and with a 'new frontage of late
years' (Samuel Dove's Debenham, 1986, p.7). For structural drawings see Mr T.
Easton, Bedfield Hall.
Listing NGR: TM1734963316
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings