This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2857 / 52°17'8"N
Longitude: 1.131 / 1°7'51"E
OS Eastings: 613648
OS Northings: 269903
OS Grid: TM136699
Mapcode National: GBR TJY.QRK
Mapcode Global: VHL9M.KT84
Entry Name: White House Farmhouse
Listing Date: 23 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1032358
English Heritage Legacy ID: 281383
Location: Thorndon, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Thorndon
Built-Up Area: Thorndon
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Thorndon with Rishangles All Saints
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
THORNDON THE STREET
TM 16 NW
3/102 White House Farmhouse
Former farmhouse. Mid C16 rear wing, the forwardmost cell of which is now
incorporated into the front range. Remainder of front range is a 3-cell
addition of c.1600. Later C17 alterations. A large house of L-shape plan.
Timber framed, mainly plastered. Front roof slope of front range has old
plaintiles; the remainder is pantiled. 2 storeys and attic. 4 windows, C19
(first floor) and mid C20 (ground floor) casements. One small original
mullioned window below the stack and others to the rear and right gable. 2
doorways with mid C20 boarded doors. Internal stack with 3 octagonal shafts
(rebuilt mid C20) on original moulded bases. Rear wing has internal stack
with rendered shaft. Internally much of the frame is exposed, with some good
close studding and blocked ovolo-mullioned windows of c.1600 in the front
range. The hall has an axial bridging beam with ovolo moulding and soffit
carved with a band of laurel leaves; ovolo joists with nicked stop-chamfers;
ovolo cornice. Parlour has ovolo axial bridging beam with recessed soffit and
plain joists. The parlour fireplace has small remains of a hoodmoulded brick
arch. Rear wing comprises the earlier farmhouse, later used as service rooms.
This wing has evidence for cross-entry doorways and the former service
partition. Incomplete plank and muntin screen with 4-centre arched doorway.
Above is a 3-bay room with 2 cambered tie beams carrying a queen-post roof.
Newel stair by stack, probably C16. In later C17 the front range was given a
butt-purlin roof which extended across the parlour cell of the rear wing, the
walls of this section being raised about O.7m.
Listing NGR: TM1364869903
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings