History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Gardeners Arms Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Tostock, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2362 / 52°14'10"N

Longitude: 0.8627 / 0°51'45"E

OS Eastings: 595573

OS Northings: 263644

OS Grid: TL955636

Mapcode National: GBR RGJ.NYL

Mapcode Global: VHKDD.W2Y0

Entry Name: The Gardeners Arms Public House

Listing Date: 9 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032396

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281268

Location: Tostock, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP30

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Tostock

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Tostock St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Woolpit

Listing Text


TL 96 SE TOSTOCK THE GREEN

5/165 The Gardeners Arms
- Public House

-- II

Public house, c.1600 with core of late C14. 2 storeys. 3-cell cross-entry
plan, (the C14 parlour cell to right is of cross-wing form). Timber-framed
and roughcast. Plaintiled roof (hipped at left hand end). An axial chimney,
the shaft rebuilt in C20 red brick. Late C19 or early C20 small-pane
casements. Mid C20 glazed panelled door at cross-entry position: a C19 half-
glazed 4-panelled door in the parlour to right. Interior: The 2-bay cross-wing
has plain late C14 framing exposed at 1st storey. Walls have widely-spaced
studding with arch windbraces. A partition truss retains a fragment of
crownpost roof, with long cranked rising braces up from the tiebeam. Although
much rebuilt in C20, the roof has collars mortised into the rafters, not
halved: a feature not normally found after 1400 in Suffolk. The westernmost
bay has smoke-encrustation, suggesting that an open hall existed here until
partially demolished c.1600. The later section has a 2-bay hall and service
cell: close-studding with diamond-mullioned window evidence, and clasped
purlin roof. In the bar, early C17 framing is exposed: close-studding and
chamfered ceiling joists laid flat. A wide lintelled C17 open fireplace has
jambs of reused limestone blocks; these are probably from the Abbey of St
Edmundsburv or another medieval building.


Listing NGR: TL9557363644

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.