History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stowlangtoft Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Stowlangtoft, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2835 / 52°17'0"N

Longitude: 0.8752 / 0°52'30"E

OS Eastings: 596219

OS Northings: 268930

OS Grid: TL962689

Mapcode National: GBR SH9.S42

Mapcode Global: VHKD1.4V2V

Entry Name: Stowlangtoft Hall

Listing Date: 15 November 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032423

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281229

Location: Stowlangtoft, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP31

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Stowlangtoft

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Stowlangtof with Langham

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Badwell Ash

Listing Text


TL 96 NE STOWLANGTOFT KILN LANE

2/126 Stowlangtoft Hall
15.11.54

GV II

Nursing home; built as a large country house. 1859, by H. Hakewill for Fuller
Maitland Wilson. In the Italianate Style. Gault brick with dressings of
limestone. Flat roofs behind parapets of limestone: open balustrading in
sections with urn balusters. Internal chimneys of gault brick with moulded
limestone cappings. The north entrance front is of two tall storeys: central
block of 3 windows, deeply recessed (at 1st storey only) between wings of 2
windows. To left is the extensive service range: set forward, 3 storeys, 6
windows. A further lower service range of 2 storeys to left again. To left
of the main block and set forward is a prominent 4-stage Italianate tower.
Sashes with segmental heads of gauged brick and large panes. A central Doric
portico porch of limestone with a pair of columns supporting a flat
entablature and open balustrading: the entrance doorway has a pair of doors
with 3 fielded panels, and above is a round-arched fanlight. The tower has at
the lowest stage a coved niche, and above on two faces are carved coats of
arms in limestone of the Wilson family. The next stage has an open
balustraded balcony with Ionic columns in antis; the arch above has the.
tympanum filled with terracotta tiles. Open balustraded parapets above a
heavy moulded cornice. To the east end of the garden elevation is attached by
a loggia, a 5-window garden house with a domed glass roof: small-pane sashes
with segmental heads. Interior: In the large 2-storeyed entrance hall is a
marble fireplace of early C18: reused from elsewhere and perhaps from the
former Stowlangtoft Hall which stood further south until demolished in early
C19. A plaster ceiling in the French roccoco style and another in the Adam
manner.


Listing NGR: TL9621968930

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.