History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Walled Garden, 370 Metres South of Stowlangtoft Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Stowlangtoft, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2798 / 52°16'47"N

Longitude: 0.8771 / 0°52'37"E

OS Eastings: 596360

OS Northings: 268524

OS Grid: TL963685

Mapcode National: GBR SHH.0KS

Mapcode Global: VHKD1.5Y1P

Entry Name: Walled Garden, 370 Metres South of Stowlangtoft Hall

Listing Date: 9 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032424

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281231

Location: Stowlangtoft, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP31

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Stowlangtoft

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Stowlangtof with Langham

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Badwell Ash

Listing Text


TL 96 NE STOWLANGTOFT KILN LANE

2/128 Walled garden; 370m south
- of Stowlangtoft Hall

-- II

Walled garden, 1829 as dated. Red brick walling about 3.5m high; the upper
section reduces in thickness with pilasters at intervals: weathered stone and
clay copings. About 85 x 30m. On the south side of both the north and south
walls are lean-to greenhouses about 40m long (in poor condition at date of
survey). Doorways with cambered heads and boarded doors at centre of 3 sides:
over the north doorway is a small limestone block with the inscribed date
1829. Slated lean-to sheds in poor condition attached to south and west
walls. Most of the west wall was apparently rebuilt in 1862 (as dated.in
numerals of flint with the initials HW above in terracotta). This section
contains an extensive collection of architectural fragments from several
periods. A wrought iron tie rod has at its end a bar with "W 1664 D"; the
initials of Sir Willoughby D'Ewes (d.1685). Most of the fragments are of
limestone and have good C14/C15 carving; others are sections of C16 terracotta
window mullion and finials or chimney shafts more likely to have come from
Stowlangtoft Hall, standing nearby and demolished in C19. At the centre of
the south wall is a raised section with limestone capped brick piers and a
weather vane on a limestone plinth.


Listing NGR: TL9636068524

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.