This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2208 / 52°13'14"N
Longitude: 0.8333 / 0°49'59"E
OS Eastings: 593628
OS Northings: 261847
OS Grid: TL936618
Mapcode National: GBR RGP.MJ7
Mapcode Global: VHKDD.DFCW
Entry Name: Church Cottage
Listing Date: 9 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1032448
English Heritage Legacy ID: 281184
Location: Hessett, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP30
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Hessett
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Beyton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL 96 SW HESSETT THE STREET (WEST SIDE)
4/81 Church Cottage
House, late C14 and c.1500-1530. Alterations of C18, C19 and c.1970. 2
storeys (1 storey with attics until c.1976). 3-cell plan of open-hall form.
Timber-framed and plastered. Concrete plaintiled roof with axial chimney, the
shaft rebuilt in mid C20 red brick. Small-pane casements of c.1970 and gabled
plaintiled entrance porch with half-glazed panelled door. A fragmentary
mid/late C14 building of 2 bays forms the nucleus of the house. The main
entrance doorway survives, with an arched head of vigorous ogee form. It
appears to lead into a small open hall: to its right is an open truss with a
concealed archbraced tiebeam, indicating a possible croglofft on the site of
the present chimney. To left is evidence for a crosswing, demolished by C19.
A 2-bay open hall with service-cell was added to right c.1500-1530. The open
truss has an arch-braced tiebeam, the braces rising from shafts. A second
open truss is adjacent to the present chimney which replaced in late C16 an
original one of plaster. The service cell to right has very heavy lodged 1st
floor joists. Tension braced close-studding. The end wall was half-hipped.
The diamond-mullioned front window in the hall remains in part. Crownpost
roof: square posts with thin 2-way braces. In late C16 an upper floor with
good chamfered joists was inserted in the hall, and a lintelled open fireplace
with limestone piers which were probably removed from the demolished Abbey of
St. Edmundsbury. In C18, a 1st floor was inserted into the C14 hall and that
structure was re-roofed. Major alterations of c.1970 included a rear
extension and new higher roof over the entire medieval section.
Listing NGR: TL9362861847
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings