This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2425 / 52°14'33"N
Longitude: 0.9168 / 0°55'0"E
OS Eastings: 599239
OS Northings: 264488
OS Grid: TL992644
Mapcode National: GBR SHX.BMP
Mapcode Global: VHKD7.VW1S
Entry Name: Willow Farmhouse
Listing Date: 15 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1032466
English Heritage Legacy ID: 281124
Location: Elmswell, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP30
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Elmswell
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Elmswell St John the Divine
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL 96 SE ELMSWELL ASHFIELD ROAD
5/21 Willow Farmhouse
Farmhouse, C15 with late C16/early C17 alterations. One storey and attics; a
2-storey with attics cross-wing added to left. A 3-cell open hall house.
Timber-framed and plastered. Thatched roof, half-hipped at right-hand end.
Two C18/C19 gabled plaintiled dormers, one with 3 leaded-glazed lights. An
axial early C17 chimney of red brick, with a frieze of red terracotta tiles
forming a diaper pattern. An external service chimney to left is similar, but
also has a sawtooth shaft. Late C18 or early C19 3-light casements. Mid C20
battened and boarded entrance door. A single-storey extension to left of
C17/C18, and a lean-to C19 extension to right. Interior: The smoke-encrusted
open hall roof was originally of crownpost form: the post has been damaged
during later alterations by the removal of the octagonal shaft below the
braces, and is no longer in the structure. It has a plain splayed capital
with 4-centred curved solid plank braces. The hall has widely-spaced tension-
braced studding, and a.blocked 4-centred arched cross-entry doorway. The
cross-wing was added c.1600, when basecrucks were inserted at the upper level
at the junction with the service cell of the older building.
Listing NGR: TL9923964488
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings