This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3422 / 52°20'31"N
Longitude: 1.2035 / 1°12'12"E
OS Eastings: 618315
OS Northings: 276400
OS Grid: TM183764
Mapcode National: GBR VKS.52Y
Mapcode Global: VHL9G.TD39
Entry Name: Abbey Farmhouse
Listing Date: 29 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1032502
English Heritage Legacy ID: 281007
Location: Hoxne, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP21
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Hoxne
Built-Up Area: Heckfield Green
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Hoxne St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
HOXNE CROSS STREET
TM 17 NE
Farmhouse, on site of Benedictine Priory. East wing is the surviving part of
a large house of c.1540, said to be for Sir Richard Gresham. Early C17 cross-
wing to west, extending to north to form L-shape plan. Early C20 restoration.
East wing. Timber framed: exposed studding with herringbone brick nogging,
some parts restored. Double-curved braces to first floor. Plaintiled roof.
2 storeys and attic. South wall has a jettied first floor supported on plain
brackets springing from carved buttress-shafts; the bressummer has leaf-trail
carving. Various cavetto mullioned windows with diamond-leaded glass and
moulded sills: most are good reproductions but some are originals. Evidence
for a large mullion and transom hall window (half blocked) and for projecting
upper windows. Cross-entry has 4-centre arched doorway and original plank
door with moulded outer face. To the north is a particularly fine original
gabled porch with unrestored brick nogging: open entrance with shallow 3-
centred arch, reached by 3 stone steps; within are the original doorway, door
and 3-light window above. Against the north wall is a massive C16 stack with
crowstepped shoulders and 3 original diamond shafts. Cross-wing. Red brick,
laid in Flemish bond; plaintiled roof. 2 storeys and attic. North gable is
crowstepped; both gables have tumbling. To west is a range of 5 C19 3-light
casement windows under segmental arches; 6-panelled raised and fielded door.
2 stacks, one at north gable end: each has 2 C19 shafts set diamondwise, with
star caps. Interior. The hall has a fine ceiling with roll-moulded cross-
beams. Much early C17 oak panelling, probably mostly C20 insertions. Good
hall fireplace with moulded 4-centred brick arch and small shields in the
spandrels. Above the fireplace is part of a Jacobean overmantel, brought from
elsewhere and altered in C20. Well stair with turned balusters and moulded
handrail, probably of early C17 date. Hall chamber has moulded stuccoed
fireplace, the spandrels enriched with a shield and foliage. The adjacent
room has an altered fireplace with stone jambs, each containing a shield
within a square panel. This room has complete C16-C17 panelling. First floor
of cross-wing has a C17 plank and muntin partition forming a side passage.
Roof over C16 range has one row of clasped purlins and 2-way wind-bracing; one
bay has evidence for original dormer windows. Traces of moat to east.
Listing NGR: TM1831576400
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings