This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3416 / 52°20'29"N
Longitude: 1.2025 / 1°12'8"E
OS Eastings: 618247
OS Northings: 276329
OS Grid: TM182763
Mapcode National: GBR VKS.4V6
Mapcode Global: VHL9G.SDKS
Entry Name: Abbey View
Listing Date: 14 April 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1032503
English Heritage Legacy ID: 281009
Location: Hoxne, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP21
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Hoxne
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Hoxne St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
HOXNE CROSS STREET
TM 17 NE
8/68 Abbey View
House. Late C15 with mid C17 rear wing forming L-shape plan. Alterations of
c.1600, c.1700 and c.1924. Timber framed, the facade and gable ends encased
in red brick c.1924 with white brick dressings at the angles. Plastered to
rear. Roof has double Roman tiles to front and pantiles to rear. 2 storeys
and attic. A former open hall house of 3-cell form. 3 windows, 3-light
casements under segmental lintols. 2 C17 mullioned windows have been opened
out to the rear. Lobby entrance with mid C20 6-panel door and open lean-to
porch. Internal stack. 2 further stacks to rear wing, one at the gable end.
An intact frame in 4 bays, with almost straight arched braces. Evidence for
original diamond-mullioned windows. Cambered tie beam over former open hall
has evidence for crown-post. The parlour, entered by an original 4-centre
arched doorway, has substantial plain joists, perhaps a replacement ceiling of
C16 date. In c.1600 the hall was floored over with an axial bridging beam and
chamfered joists, a stack being inserted into the upper bay at the same time.
Intact hall fireplace with evidence for lining of the mortar joists. In
c.1700 the walls were raised over one metre although the present roof is of
c.1924. Oak newel stair in 2 flights. Parlour chamber has duck's nest grate
of c.1800. 2-cell mid C17 wing to rear was probably a separate dwelling:
ceilings with plain joists; original open ground floor fireplace.
Listing NGR: TM1824776329
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings