History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Denham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3275 / 52°19'38"N

Longitude: 1.2101 / 1°12'36"E

OS Eastings: 618834

OS Northings: 274784

OS Grid: TM188747

Mapcode National: GBR VL0.0RB

Mapcode Global: VHL9G.XRKM

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032530

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280968

Location: Denham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP21

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Denham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Denham St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Wingfield

Listing Text

DENHAM
TM 17 SE
4/27
Church of St. John the
29.7.55 Baptist
II*
Parish church, said to have been a chapel to a college sited at nearby College
Farm. Medieval; restored 1873. Nave, chancel, south porch, north vestry;
there was once a west tower and north chapel. Mostly flint rubble, the
chancel plastered; stone dressings. Nave walls heightened in red brick and
various brick repairs, including infilling of arch into north chapel. Some
heavy C19 brick buttresses to nave. Slated roofs. Nave windows and doorways
are in Perpendicular style but the fabric is older. 3-light windows, one to
north and 2 to south, all much renewed. Both doorways retain medieval doors,
the south door with a sanctuary knocker. C18 brick porch: 3-centre arched
entrance with raised springers and stone key. At the south east corner of
nave part of the rood stair is visible. Early C14 chancel with a Priest's
doorway of that date. The windows are in Perpendicular style, the 2 to the
south being square-headed. 3-light east window of C20 date. Interior. Nave
has a good late C15 7-bay roof with long arched braces meeting at the centre,
east-west bracing below the ridge (the pendants lost) and moulded principal
components. On the south side the moulded cornice no longer survives.
Chancel roof of c.1873. Wide unmoulded chancel arch. In the nave north wall
is the blocked arch to the chapel. Plain octagonal font dated 1876. Chancel
stalls incorporate 6 medieval misere seats and some C15 poppyhead bench-ends.
Remainder of furnishings renewed 1873. In a wall recess in the north east
nave is a good late C13 recumbent stone effigy of a lady: this is probably a
member of the Bedingfield family and is said to have come from the chapel.
Below the west nave window is an inscribed tablet of C13 date. A C16 brass to
a member of the Bedingfield family has been removed. Good Arms of Charles I
(dated 1637) over chancel arch.


Listing NGR: TM1883474784

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.