History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Oak Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Horham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2959 / 52°17'45"N

Longitude: 1.2415 / 1°14'29"E

OS Eastings: 621131

OS Northings: 271365

OS Grid: TM211713

Mapcode National: GBR VLF.2P1

Mapcode Global: VHL9P.GKNB

Entry Name: Oak Farmhouse

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032537

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280984

Location: Horham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP21

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Horham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Horham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Horham

Listing Text

HORHAM ATHELINGTON ROAD
TM 27 SW
5/43 Oak Farmhouse
29.7.55
II
Farmhouse. In 2 main sections. To the right an early C15 former open hall,
the adjoining service cell probably enlarged or rebuilt in C16; this section
was raised and re-roofed c.1800. Left section comprises a mid C16 parlour,
largely unaltered. Timber framed and plastered, lined in imitation of ashlar.
Roof of glazed black pantiles. 2 storeys; an attic floor in the parlour block
is now disused. Scattered fenestration, mainly casements, some of them old;
one first floor sash window. Mid C20 door into hall range. Parlour block has
an integral stack, placed at the junction with the hall: oblong shaft with
moulded base. A later stack against the right gable end. Cambered tie beam
over former open hall, the braces to it not visible. This tie beam carries a
square crown-post with moulded base, the upper part concealed. Some plain,
well-finished studding is exposed in the lower gable wall of the hall. In the
front wall, half of a 2-centre arched cross-entry doorway. C16 inserted floor
has moulded bridging beam, supported at one end by an unusual hollow-moulded
curved brace springing from floor level; the other end of the bridging beam is
concealed. The girding beams at each end of this room are also moulded; the
joists are concealed. Parlour has axial bridging beam with multiform moulding
and moulded joists. The chamber over has exposed studs with curved braces and
substantial plain joists, almost square in section. 2 doorways with 4-centred
arches, the one in the hall with leaf-carved spandrels. Several good C16
doors. Queen-post roof over parlour. Later roof over hall re-uses many
sooted medieval rafters at a shallower pitch.


Listing NGR: TM2113171365

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.