History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Athelington, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2925 / 52°17'32"N

Longitude: 1.2397 / 1°14'23"E

OS Eastings: 621030

OS Northings: 270982

OS Grid: TM210709

Mapcode National: GBR VLF.87Z

Mapcode Global: VHL9P.FMRY

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032562

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280946

Location: Athelington, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP21

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Athelington

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Athelington St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Horham

Listing Text

ATHELINGTON
TM 27 SW
5/5 Church of St Peter
29.7.55
GV II*
Parish church. Medieval; restored 1873-4. A small church with continuous
nave and chancel, west tower and south porch. Flint rubble with stone
dressings. The tower is of knapped flint with an admixture of red brick;
brick quoins to the east and to the stair turret. Plaintiled roof. Square
unbuttressed tower, largely C15; the top section is missing and there is a
pyramidal slated roof crowned by a wind vane. Stair turret to south. Moulded
west doorway with late C19 corbel heads. 2-light west window with early C14
tracery but Perpendicular-style head; a different window here is shown on an
engraving of 1833 hanging in the church. Above is a small 2-light window with
square head. Simple louvred belfry openings. Nave and chancel probably early
C14. Side windows in Perpendicular style; original 3-light east window with
intersecting Y-tracery and inscription at base. Restored south doorway to
nave with late C19 corbel heads. Knapped flint porch of 1873. Interior. C14
scissor-braced rafter roof with collars and ashlar pieces. Moulded cornice,
enriched in the chancel with embattling and fleurons. Rood beam in situ,
supported by 2 good C14 corbel heads of a king and queen, placed here from
elsewhere in the church in 1873. Trefoil-headed piscina with drop-sill
sedilia adjacent. C15 octagonal font, the bowl panels shallow-carved with
traceried designs, no 2 alike. In the nave, 10 fine poppyhead bench-ends of
C15 date, carefully restored in C19. The ends are traceried and there are
side buttresses supporting standing figures or heads. 4 similar bench-ends to
the east are good C19 copies. At the west end, 2 C15 half-ends. Remainder of
benches and other furnishings date largely from late C19.


Listing NGR: TM2103070982

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.