History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clopton Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Rattlesden, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2019 / 52°12'6"N

Longitude: 0.9018 / 0°54'6"E

OS Eastings: 598394

OS Northings: 259936

OS Grid: TL983599

Mapcode National: GBR SJ9.SZH

Mapcode Global: VHKDF.LX3C

Entry Name: Clopton Hall

Listing Date: 15 November 1954

Last Amended: 18 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032603

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280840

Location: Rattlesden, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP30

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Rattlesden

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Rattlesden St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Woolpit

Listing Text

RATTLESDEN CLOPTON GREEN
TL 95 NE
3/87 Clopton Hall
- (formerly listed as Clopton
15.11.54 Hall and stables)
- II
Former manor house, late C16 core with alterations of 1681 as dated on
chimney, and later. Timber-framed and plastered, with rusticated quoins of
c.1681 and coved eaves cornice. Plaintiled roofs, the wings hipped. External
early C17 chimneys of red brick with diaper-patterned terracotta friezes
around base of shafts. (the date 1681 in plaster upon one chimney indicates a
remodelling date). An axial chimney of red brick at centre of main range.
C19 flat roofed dormers with sashes. Half-H plan: a 3-window main range, with
set-forward wings to left and right. 2 storeys and attics. Sashes probably
of c.1681: pairs of 24-light small-paned sashes linked by a mullion; a rare
survival in Suffolk, although most or all of the sashes are C19 or C20
replacements. Flush frames and square panes with thick glazing bars. Central
entrance with giant Doric pilasters and segmental pediment: a 6-panelled
entrance door with pediment was restored c.1980 (a 2 storey flat-roofed C19
porch-obscuring the earlier entrance was removed at this time). Interior
believed to have C17/C18 panelling, and some panelling of C17 with arcaded
overmantel. A rear extension of 1835 (later remodelled) together with
extensive wrought iron verandahs was demolished c.1980. Partial medieval
moat.


Listing NGR: TL9839459936

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.