History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Priory with Attached Outbuildings and Garden Walls

A Grade II* Listed Building in Botesdale, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.343 / 52°20'34"N

Longitude: 1.0064 / 1°0'23"E

OS Eastings: 604891

OS Northings: 275918

OS Grid: TM048759

Mapcode National: GBR SGW.384

Mapcode Global: VHKCX.DCFN

Entry Name: The Priory with Attached Outbuildings and Garden Walls

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Last Amended: 16 March 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032608

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280750

Location: Botesdale, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP22

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Botesdale

Built-Up Area: Rickinghall

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Redgrave cum Botesdale with the Rickinghalls

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Rickinghall

Listing Text

BOTESDALE THE STREET (SOUTH EAST
TM 0475
SIDE)
6/29 The Priory with attached
29.7.55 Outbuildings and Garden
Walls (formerly listed as
The Priory)
GV II*
House. Late C15 or early C16 origins, altered and extended early C17 and
c.1730, refronted c.1770, altered and extended in early C19 and 1877 for A.
Pearse, M.D., datestone to rear left. Timber frame, rendered; largely rebuilt
and extended in various red bricks. Steeply pitched pantiled roof with slate
roofed additions. Originally probably an open hall though early plan is
obscure; remodelled as a 3 cell range. 2 storeys and attic. 5 bay
symmetrical facade: steps up to central entrance, recessed part raised fielded
6 panelled door. Roman Doric porch with fluted columns; 2-light glazing bar
casements with Gothick glazing, gauged brick flat arched heads, early C18
ornamental brick surround to central window on first floor, rusticated jambs,
apron with torus moulded sides, guttae below; offset plinth, plat band with
cyma moulded underside, boxed eaves. Central small box dormer with 3 Gothick
lights. C18 left or service end internal stack with moulded kneelers to coped
gable parapet. Right gable end 2 storey 5 sided bay window, architraved
glazing bar sashes, ground floor blind boxes, first floor modillioned cornice,
panelled pargetting between storeys, gable above has exposed double purlins.
1877 bay added to left or service end has a ground floor 2-light lattice
leaded window with a segmental head, gable end first floor canted oriel
window, stack at rear corner. To rear: rendered behind parlour with an C18
external stack with offsets, behind hall an external stack in a C19 2 storey
lean-to with an architraved door and a 2-light Gothick margin glazed casement;
a short pantiled 2 storey stair wing to right of centre surrounded by later
accretions. Extending into garden behind is an early C19 2 bay 2 storey wing
with a slightly projecting ground floor, 16 pane sashes, hipped slate roof,
service or outer return of this wing is rendered with a late C19 brick lean-
to outshut with a half glazed door, formerly a Doctor's waiting room. Behind
C18 service end an early C19 slate roofed bay with an axial end stack. Late
C19 bay has a lower 2 storey gabled wing to rear with 2-light casements,
datestone. Interior: in 'hall' a C17 ovolo moulded cross axial binding beam
on C18 panelled pilasters, architraved fireplace; parlour has C18 lugged
fireplace surround, raised dado panelling, cornice, service end C17 stop
chamfered joists and cambered fireplace bressumer. Early frame largely
concealed, on first floor a post with a rebated section and a large arched
brace, chambered wallplate, traces of a large early hall window over service
end; later roof to right has lower staggered tenoned purlins, upper clasped
purlins, collars to principals, reverse curved and straight windbraces.
Extending from largest rear addition is red brick garden wall about 40m long
returning about 20m to south west to enclose bottom of garden, offset plinth,
about 2m high, glass houses towards front. From service side of this wall are
privy and stabling red brick lean-to's. To north east is red brick and flint
wall returned along Chapel Lane and Mill Road enclosing a vegetable garden
about 25m square; attached C19 coach house projecting into service yard, flint
with red brick dressings, hipped slate roof, 2 storeys, 2 coach doors with
cambered heads, a hay loft door and a 2-light casement, to rear a stable door
and dovecote, openings, 1 storey tack room outbuilding towards front with 2
doors to yard. An unusually complete group of service buildings.


Listing NGR: TM0489175918

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.