History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Felsham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1769 / 52°10'36"N

Longitude: 0.8459 / 0°50'45"E

OS Eastings: 594681

OS Northings: 257005

OS Grid: TL946570

Mapcode National: GBR RH8.JN9

Mapcode Global: VHKDL.MK10

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 15 November 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032627

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280793

Location: Felsham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP30

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Felsham

Built-Up Area: Felsham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Felsham St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Rattlesden

Listing Text

FELSHAM CHURCH ROAD
TL 95 NW
2/40 Church of St Peter
-
15.11.54
GV II*
Parish church, medieval. Restored 1872. Nave, chancel, west tower, north and
south porches. Flint rubble with freestone dressings. Plaintiled roofs with
parapet gables; the nave has parapets. Mainly late C14 work: 4-stage tower
with traceried belfry windows. Moulded west doorway has a hoodmould with
grotesque corbels, and above is a window with dagger tracery. Several good
C14 2-light side windows in nave and chancel, and simply moulded north and
south doorways. A prominent north porch added c.1500 with good quality
details. Completely covered in flushwork: chequerwork at the sides and in
trefoil-headed panels at the front and to the buttresses. A pair of north
buttresses with sunk traceried panels beneath buttressed and canopied image
niches. Each contains a carved stool and fan-vaulted coving; and an identical
niche is set above the doorway. The doorway has square flowers and grotesques
and crowns in casement mouldings, and the hoodmould has lions beneath and a
square label with shields and leaf carving. Large traceried porch side
windows and moulded archbraced roof. Interior: wide C14 chancel arch. An
unusual font; the octagonal bowl and stem of c.1500 with tracery and
supporting angels is set upon the bowl of the previous mid C14 font bowl.
This has been cut down, but the upper half of the sunk panels have traceried
heads and various carved figures. Major remodelling of 1872 included
rebuilding of nave and chancel roofs and refurnishing throughout. Arms of
George III over south doorway.


Listing NGR: TL9468157005

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.