History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dial Farmhouse`

A Grade II Listed Building in Haughley, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2203 / 52°13'13"N

Longitude: 0.9661 / 0°57'58"E

OS Eastings: 602706

OS Northings: 262155

OS Grid: TM027621

Mapcode National: GBR SJ5.R38

Mapcode Global: VHKDG.PGM8

Entry Name: Dial Farmhouse`

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032672

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280598

Location: Haughley, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Haughley

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Haughley The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Old Newton

Listing Text

HAUGHLEY OLD STREET (SOUTH SIDE)
TM 0262

8/115 Dial Farmhouse
-09/12/55

GV II

Former farmhouse, c.1530-50. 3-cell plan with lobby-entrance. 2 storeys.
Timber-framed and pebble-dashed. Pantiled roof, once thatched; an axial C16
chimney of narrow pink/buff bricks. Mid C20 casements with transomes. Early
C19 entrance door with 6 fielded panels, the upper pair of panels glazed. A
fine timber-framed entrance porch of c.1500, believed to have been brought
from a house at Mendlesham. Open, with heavy oak posts at front and rear, and
plaintiled roof. The rear tie beam is moulded and embattled, and the front
tie beam has vinescroll carving with a carved animal (perhaps a deer) at the
centre and a freize of Tudor flowers below. The 4-centred arched doorway has
small spandrels enriched with roses. Good quality framing is exposed
throughout the house: close-studding with reversed arch windbracing and a
blocked window with cavetto-moulded mullions. In the hall is a double-ogee
moulded binding beam and roll- and cavetto-moulded joists. Coupled rafter
roof. A very wide open fireplace with a deep lintel serves the hall and is
probably inserted into the original cross entry. At the rear is a wing of
c.1570 with good but plainer framing, and wind-braced clasped purlin roof.


Listing NGR: TM0270662155

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.