History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Shepherds Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Haughley, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2004 / 52°12'1"N

Longitude: 0.9753 / 0°58'31"E

OS Eastings: 603422

OS Northings: 259968

OS Grid: TM034599

Mapcode National: GBR SJL.1D5

Mapcode Global: VHKDG.VYGK

Entry Name: Shepherds Farmhouse

Listing Date: 15 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032673

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280600

Location: Haughley, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Haughley

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Stowmarket St Peter and St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Stowmarket

Listing Text

HAUGHLEY SHEPHERDS LANE
TM 05 NW

6/117 Shepherds Farmhouse
-

-- II

Former farmhouse; a late C15 3-cell open hall house whose parlour cell was
rebuilt in mid C16 together with other alterations. 2 storeys, with attic
above the parlour cell. Timber-framed and plastered. Thatched roof, hipped
at the right hand (service) end. Axial chimney, the shaft rebuilt in late C19
red brick with gault brick quoins. A C19 eyebrow casement dormer. Mainly C19
small-pane casements. Late C20 gabled plaintiled entrance porch with framed
and boarded door. The 2-bay open hall has an open truss with a rather slender
tie-beam and shallow 4-centred arch-braces of a type suggesting a possible
early C16 date. Smoke-blackened coupled-rafter roof. A blocked rear cross-
entry doorway with 4-centred arched head, and two mutilated service room
doorways. The service cell has a diamond-mullioned window and studwork with
long windbraces, of arch-form in side walls and of tension-form at the end.
At the upper end the partition wall is greatly altered but there is evidence
for an early or original smoke bay. Circa 1550 alterations were carried out
with good quality carpentry: an inserted upper floor with roll-moulded joists
and multiple roll-moulded main beams in the hall. A pair of wide open
fireplaces in narrow buff brick, and in the hall a cambered lintel. The
parlour cell has good close studding, a similar moulded 1st floor, and a
window with roll-and-cavetto mouldings. Clasped-purlin roof. Associated, it
is believed, with Alice Rayner in 1557 and remaining in her family until
c.1640.


Listing NGR: TM0342259968

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.