This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2361 / 52°14'9"N
Longitude: 1.0019 / 1°0'6"E
OS Eastings: 605075
OS Northings: 264009
OS Grid: TM050640
Mapcode National: GBR SJ1.VG7
Mapcode Global: VHKDH.B205
Entry Name: Ward Green Farmhouse
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Last Amended: 15 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1032689
English Heritage Legacy ID: 280641
Location: Old Newton with Dagworth, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Old Newton with Dagworth
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Old Newton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
OLD NEWTON WARD GREEN
TM 06 SE WITH DAGWORTH
5/158 Ward Green Farmhouse
09/12/55 (formerly listed as Ward
Green Farmhouse and barn)
Farmhouse, C15 and C17; built in two sections: a 2-storey, 2-cell early C17
block to right, linked to a 3-cell open hall house of early C15 set forward at
right angles to left. C17 block: timber-framed and plastered. Plaintiled
roof with axial C17 chimney of buff brick with sawtooth shaft. 2 windows: at
ground storey a pair of early C19 small-pane sashes, at 1st storey a pair of
early C18 3-light windows with transomes and wrought iron casements at the
centre. A mid C20 small-pane casement marks the position of the former cross-
entry doorway to left with cantilevered plaintiled pentice. The lower range
has a pantiled roof, formerly thatched, with axial C17 chimney of buff brick.
The earlier range has a 2-bay open hall. The open truss at the centre
consisted of an arch-braced cambered tiebeam until late C16 or early C17, when
the tiebeam was cut almost away, and long cruck-like timbers attached to the
storey posts. These appear to be the remodelled original archbraces reused:
they support a collar-beam at the head. Studwork good but widely spaced; a 2-
centred arched parlour doorway. Heavy unchamfered floor joists at both end
cells. Quite complete coupled-rafter roof, formerly hipped. A large
original wattle-and-daub baffle laid upon oak planks over the collars is a
device for smoke extraction at the upper end of the hall: a rare survival.
Chimney with lintelled open fireplace inserted in cross-entry c.1600, with
inserted upper floor in hall. The later block has a complete plank-and-muntin
cross-passage screen. High quality framing for date: close-studding, with (it
is believed) a large concealed ovolo moulded mullioned and transomed chamber
window. Closely spaced on-edge floor joists. Back-to back open fireplaces.
Fragments of a C17 moulded plasterwork scheme in a chamber.
Listing NGR: TM0507564009
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings