History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

New Bells Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Haughley, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2372 / 52°14'13"N

Longitude: 0.9793 / 0°58'45"E

OS Eastings: 603529

OS Northings: 264072

OS Grid: TM035640

Mapcode National: GBR SJ0.NFX

Mapcode Global: VHKDG.X1L9

Entry Name: New Bells Farmhouse

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Last Amended: 15 March 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032705

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280574

Location: Haughley, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Haughley

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Haughley The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Old Newton

Listing Text

HAUGHLEY NEW BELLS ROAD, HAUGHLEY
TM 06 SW GREEN

4/91 New Bells Farmhouse
- (formerly listed as New
9/12/55 bells Farmhouse and barn)
-- II*

Farmhouse, c.1530 with alterations of early C17. 3-cell plan, with 2 cross-
wings. Hall of 1 storey with attics, right hand cross-wing of 2 storeys, left
hand cross wing of 2 storeys with attics. Timber-framed and mainly plastered.
The original bricknogged crosswing to right has a jetty at 1st floor level at
the front and at the right hand long wall: exposed framing with arch
windbraced close studding, the bressumer and the girth beneath the jetty are
embattled. The herringbone bricknogging between the studding is original but
restored, and further sections of bricknogging are said to be beneath the
plaster of the hall walling. The left hand crosswing, added in early C17, has
an oversailing tiebeam with ovolo moulding, and restored console brackets
beneath. Plaintiled roof with C19 spiked ridge tiles to the hall (the roof
was originally thatched). Large C16 axial chimney of red brick; an external
chimney of red brick to left. Mainly C20 casements, one with diamond leaded
glazing: some early C19 casements with small diamond panes, the bars of cast
iron. Mid C20 boarded entrance door with plaintiled canopy. The house is
externally of medieval form, but had an upper floor over the hall from the
outset; probably used as a storage loft. The hall and parlour have double
ogee moulded first floor joists, and back-to-back lintelled open fireplaces.
In early C17, a crosswing containing a kitchen was added to left, on the site
of the previous service cells: good unmoulded framing and 2-tier butt-purlin
roof with wind bracing. Butt purlin roofs were also added to the earlier
building. The house stands in the centre of a complete medieval moat.


Listing NGR: TM0352964072

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.