History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Range of Farm Buildings, 50 Metres North North West of Harleston Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Harleston, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2046 / 52°12'16"N

Longitude: 0.9493 / 0°56'57"E

OS Eastings: 601624

OS Northings: 260368

OS Grid: TM016603

Mapcode National: GBR SJC.LV6

Mapcode Global: VHKDG.DVP9

Entry Name: Range of Farm Buildings, 50 Metres North North West of Harleston Hall

Listing Date: 15 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032732

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280537

Location: Harleston, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Harleston

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Harleston St Augustine of Canterbury

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Stowmarket

Listing Text

HARLESTON HAUGHLEY ROAD
TM 06 SW

4/55 Range of farm buildings,
- 50m north-northwest of
Harleston Hall

GV II

Range of single-storey buildings (mainly stabling), housing livestock, 1879 as
dated on plaques on building. In the estate style of Great Finborough Hall.
Red brick with quoins, dressings and enrichment of gault brick. Plaintiled
roofs with parapet gables of limestone; at the apex and kneelers are spiked
ball finials (many are decayed or missing). At the centre of the main north-
south range is a set-forward block with loft above. It has a Flemish gable
with a weathervane and surmounting fox. A circular window lights the loft,
and beneath it on either side are limestone plaques with, on the left,
initials C.T. and on the right the date 1879. A 4-centred arched doorway with
small flanking windows, and a cantilevered hipped plaintiled canopy. On
either side is a 7-bay range with piers at bay intervals and a dentil course
beneath the eaves. Each bay has patterning of crosses and diamonds. A corner
block at the north end is higher and surmounted by a gabled timber-framed
louvre. The range returns westwards for 25m, with a gateway covered by an
open gable; the gates are framed with diagonal boarding, and on either flank
are two set-back bays. On the west and south sides facing the farmyard the
walling is mainly timber-framed and boarded. Further buildings on this side
are not of special interest, although attached. Great Finborough Hall is
listed under Finborough C.P.


Listing NGR: TM0162460368

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.