History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wortham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3763 / 52°22'34"N

Longitude: 1.0518 / 1°3'6"E

OS Eastings: 607823

OS Northings: 279749

OS Grid: TM078797

Mapcode National: GBR THP.W6D

Mapcode Global: VHL96.5JWN

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Last Amended: 17 November 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032738

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280456

Location: Wortham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP22

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Wortham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Wortham St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Fersfield

Listing Text

TM 07 NE WORTHAM LOW ROAD (SOUTH SIDE)

1/165 The Manor House (formerly
29.7.55 listed as Wortham Manor)

GV II*


Large house. Mid C17 with earlier origins, raised and altered C18, extended
C19, all for the Betts family. Timber frame and red brick, all plastered and
colourwashed. Plaintiled rofs. Vestigial H plan in a narrow 6 bay range with
cross gabled ends, service buildings to rear. 2 storeys and attics. 1:4:1
garden elevation, almost symmetrical. Blocked openings to centre, that on
first floor with a fluted key blocked gauged brick round arch, flanking
glazing bar sashes in moulded frames, slightly recessed with gauged brick flat
arched heads, that on ground floor to left of centre replaced by a two-thirds
glazed door, raised in C18 with smaller sashes in attic. Plinth, mutuled
eaves cornice, brickwork projects slightly towards outer bays with blocked
openings, offsets to original eaves. Gable fronted outer bays have 2 storey
C18 canted bays with recessed similar sashes, cyma moulded cornices to flat
heads, recessed sashes in bargeboarded gables, lower ridge to left gable. To
right on main ridge which was raised to retain steep pitch is a large axial
ridge stack, a recessed panel in base, moulded to shaft with 2 by 1 arched
panels, moulded to capping. A similar but slightly smaller stack is internal
at left end of main ridge. Left gable end exposed brick, blocked windows,
moulded plat band and kneelers to a shaped gable, triple curves, central
concave and upper and lower convex separated by steps. Plain right gable end
with first floor and attic 3 pane sashes. To rear a gable behind right hand
cross gabled bay. Behind main stack an early C19 gabled stair turret with
sashes which is an addition to a lower C17 service range of 4 bays, roofed
parallel to main range. A 2 storey and attic gabled kitchen wing projects
slightly further back, ground floor brick casing with plat band to first
floor, mixed fenestration, exposed plates and purlins. 2 dairy bays to right
have ground floor 3 and 5-light casements, first floor small C19 sashes, a
stack in raised roof, pantiled with a shallow pitch continuing over C19
laundry range, on ridge a moulded timber open cupola with a leaded ogee head,
3 stacks, later brick range of about 4 bays has mixed fenestration,
oversailing timber framed upper storey to rear facing a small service yard
enclosed by a 1 storey pantry and coal shed lean-to attached to left gable of
main range with a sash to garden. Interior: entrance into a room with C18
raised panelling, dentilled cornice, false door; 'hall' has a stop chamfered
binding beam, some exposed close studding, segmental arched firplace, panelled
surround with fluted pilasters; in chimney breast an early safe, key blocked
round opening, classical relief on iron door. To far left a cyma moulded
binding beam, to far right a reset early C17 overmantel with fluted pilasters,
3 carved panels, C19 Gothic doors with some stained glass. Early C19 dogleg
staircase with slat balusters, moulded ramped handrail. First floor: some C18
panelling, ovolo and cavetto moulded binding beams, butt purlin roof. Service
range has some exposed framing with ogee stop chamfered axial and cross axial
binding beams, some C17 panelling, stop chamfered door jambs, double butt
purlin roof with collars and windbraces. Attached to rear and extending about
80m along road is a red brick wall of C17, C18 and C19 with much English bond
brickwork. About 3m high, plinth, rounded coping, pilaster buttresses, ramped
up towards house, angled back into garden at far end, a Gothic arched opening
with a spear headed railed gate. (K.F. Doughty, The Betts of Wortham in
Suffolk: 1480-1905, 1912).


Listing NGR: TM0782379749

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.