History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Goswold Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Thrandeston, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3375 / 52°20'14"N

Longitude: 1.1165 / 1°6'59"E

OS Eastings: 612414

OS Northings: 275617

OS Grid: TM124756

Mapcode National: GBR TJC.F3J

Mapcode Global: VHL9F.9HMY

Entry Name: Goswold Hall

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032759

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280397

Location: Thrandeston, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP21

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Thrandeston

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Thrandeston St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Brome

Listing Text

THRANDESTON GOSWOLD HALL
TM 17 NW
2/108 Goswold Hall
29.7.55
-- II

Farmhouse. Late C16 lower cross wing for Grey family, hall and parlour
rebuilt mid to late C17 probably for Rix family, extended c.1820 for T.
French, altered C20. Timber frames, largely plastered. Sham timber frame and
brick nogging to front, early red brick gable end. Steeply pitched plaintiled
roofs, machine tiles to front. 4 bay range with 3 bay cross wing to right.
All 2 storeys and attics. Entrance to centre of main range, a C19 part
glazed, raised panelled door, early C19 lugged architrave with pedimented
Doric entablature. Ground floor left and first floor leaded cross casements
in moulded flush frames, some early glass. Continuous dentilled eaves
cornice. To right of entrance a large early C19 2 storey bow projects
forwards, pebbledashed with 3 similar cross casements, flat roof, an external
stack on left return, stucco incised to resemble ashlar with offsets to red
brick shaft. To far right and extending forward from main range but not as
far as bow is earlier service cross wing, 3-light transomed leaded casements,
a 2-light leaded dormer with a pedimental head, lower ridge to separate hipped
roof. Main range has a large rebuilt axial stack to right end. Left gable
end is largely irregularly bonded C17 brick with an external stack with 2 rear
offsets, moulded base to rebuilt shaft, exposed double purlins. To rear
scattered C19 sashes in moulded flush frames. Cross wing extends further to
rear with a C20 lean-to on roughcast right return. Interior: C17 panelling on
2 sides of parlour, some exposed framing with studding of large scantling,
jowled posts to cambered tie beams. Largely remodelled in C19. Service wing
has double roll moulded bearers to front and back walls. Double purlin roof
with lower butt purlins, upper purlins clasped by collars and halved
principals. Moated manorial site.


Listing NGR: TM1241475617

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.