History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church Farm House

A Grade II Listed Building in Thrandeston, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3449 / 52°20'41"N

Longitude: 1.1042 / 1°6'15"E

OS Eastings: 611542

OS Northings: 276400

OS Grid: TM115764

Mapcode National: GBR TJ4.XNF

Mapcode Global: VHL9F.3B38

Entry Name: Church Farm House

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032765

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280415

Location: Thrandeston, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP21

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Thrandeston

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Thrandeston St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Stuston

Listing Text

THRANDESTON LITTLE GREEN (SOUTH SIDE)
TM 17 NW

2/125 Church Farm House
29.7.55

GV II

Farmhouse. Early C17. Timber frame, plastered. Steeply pitched pantiled
roofs. 3 cell cross passage plan with 2 bay service wing to rear left to form
an L. 2 storeys and attics. Cross passage entrance towards left in a late
C19 brick and stained glass gabled porch with bargeboards. C19 part opening
casement windows, 6 and 9 panes on ground floor with some leaded lights, first
floor 2 and 3-lights. Boxed eaves. Axial ridge stack between hall and
parlour to right of centre, large base broached to 3 separate octagonal shafts
with moulded bases. Left return to slightly lower service wing with an
entrance in rear bay, 3-light casements. Slightly higher ridge towards main
range with an original stack, rebuilt at cap. Rear gable end C19 external
stack, exposed plates and purlins. Main range to rear has an entrance behind
stack, half glazed, half panelled door, French windows to parlour. In inner
angle forward section of rear wing is broader to accommodate stairs, lean-to
outshut addition. Interior: triple ovolo moulded axial binding beams in
parlour and hall, hollow and ovolo moulded 4 centred brick fireplace arch in
parlour, stop chamfered binding beams in service rooms. First floor ovolo
moulded cross axial binding beams, jowled posts, close studding with tension
braces, cambered tie beams to double butt purlin roof with collars,
windbraces. Part of a moat lies to south of house. (East Anglian Miscellany,
1916, pp53-9).


Listing NGR: TM1154276400

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.