History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Weavers Mark

A Grade II Listed Building in Palgrave, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3631 / 52°21'47"N

Longitude: 1.1069 / 1°6'24"E

OS Eastings: 611639

OS Northings: 278440

OS Grid: TM116784

Mapcode National: GBR THY.YGG

Mapcode Global: VHL97.4VKS

Entry Name: Weavers Mark

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Last Amended: 17 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032781

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280348

Location: Palgrave, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP22

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Palgrave

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Palgrave St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Roydon

Listing Text

PALGRAVE A143 (SOUTH SIDE)
TM 1178
5/59 Weavers Mark (formerly
29.7.55 listed as Holly House)

GV II

House. Mid C16, part rebuilt and extended in early to mid C17, altered C19.
Timber frame, plastered. Steeply pitched machine tiled and glazed pantiled
roofs. A T on plan with early 3 bay service cross wing to left and later 2
cell lobby entry hall and parlour range to right. 2 storeys and attics.
Ground floor of later range; plinth, 8-light C19 mullion and transom
casements, octagonal lozenge leaded lights, central entrance in a closed
gabled C19 porch, architraved panelled door, leaded fanlight, wavy
bargeboards. First floor: similar cross casements with a small latticed 2-
light casement over porch, pargetted fleur-de-lys and Lion and Unicorn panels
inserted. Boxed eaves. Large axial stack with a recessed panel in base,
sawtooth shaft. Service wing to left projects forward with a slightly taller
ridge. Ground floor 8-light casement as on main range with flanking C20
glazing exposing original 4-light diamond mullioned openings. First floor
cross and attic 2-light leaded casements, bargeboarded gable. Inner return
first floor 2-light cavetto mullioned window. Left return of cross wing has
scattered C20 casements, some exposing early cavetto and ovolo mullions. Wing
extended by 1 bay to rear in C17 with a rear gable end internal stack,
sawtooth shaft. Attached to rear is a 1 storey outbuilding. To rear inner
return of cross wing are cavetto and ovolo mullioned windows. Main range to
rear has a central 2 storey gabled stair wing, leaded casements. Flanking C20
lean-to's. Interior: hall and parlour range has 3 chamfered brick Tudor
arched fireplaces, a timber bressumer to hall fireplace. Stop and run-out
chamfered axial binding beams, recently reused double hollow moulded joists.
An ovolo mullioned window in stair wing. Straight tension braces. Double
butt purlin roof with cambered collars. Service wing has shop chamfered axial
and cross axial binding beams, run-out chamfered joists. Close studding,
tension braces, jowled posts. Butt purlin roof with clasped purlins to rear
addition.


Listing NGR: TM1163978440

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.