History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Priory

A Grade II Listed Building in Palgrave, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3624 / 52°21'44"N

Longitude: 1.1044 / 1°6'15"E

OS Eastings: 611469

OS Northings: 278351

OS Grid: TM114783

Mapcode National: GBR THY.XQG

Mapcode Global: VHL97.3W6C

Entry Name: The Priory

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032793

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280378

Location: Palgrave, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP22

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Palgrave

Built-Up Area: Palgrave

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Palgrave St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Roydon

Listing Text

PALGRAVE PRIORY ROAD (NORTH WEST
TM 1178 SIDE)

5/89 The Priory
29.7.55

-- II

Large house. C16 origins, extended C17. Extensively remodelled 1836 for
daughters of Rev. Harrison, date and initials to rear. Timber frame and brick
with some clay lump. All plastered. Plain tiled roofs. 5 bay lobby entry
main range with a 2 bay rear wing. Remodelled in a Tudor Revival style. 2
storeys and attics. Central on long main range is a projecting full height
gabled porch: panelled 4 centred arched door, hood mould, first floor oriel
window with stained glass, moulded base, tiled head, single light in attic,
ornamental bargeboards. Outer bays have recessed 3-light casements with 4
centred arched heads to each light, hood moulds. Bargeboarded gablets over
each bay. Central large axial ridge stack with 4 C19 octagonal shafts. Right
gable end extruded stack with multiple offsets, 3 octagonal shafts, ornamental
bargeboards. Left gable-end 2 storey canted bay window with ground floor
3:2:3 light windows as at front, first floor sashes, above arms in
bargeboarded gable. To rear left an extruded stack with 2 octagonal shafts,
'1836, AMH,JDH, GEH' and an H in a panel. To rear right a short 2 storey
early gabled wing, possibly a stair wing originally. To rear centre extends
lower 2 bay C17 range with an attached C19 slate roofed 1 storey lean-to
outshut with a 6 raised panelled door. Interior: early C19 plasterwork,
coffering, 4 centred arch to bay window, early C19 dogleg staircase, reused
moulded binding beams, butt purlin collar roof with windbraces, some framing
visible in rear wing. To rear an originally detached C18 service building is
linked by C19 lean-to. Timber frame, plastered. Pantiled roof. 2 bays. 2
storeys. C20 casements. A large gable end external red brick stack with
offsets. Interior: stop chamfered axial binding beam, tension braces, butt
purlin collar_roof. -


Listing NGR: TM1146978351

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.