History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stuston, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3572 / 52°21'25"N

Longitude: 1.1333 / 1°7'59"E

OS Eastings: 613461

OS Northings: 277857

OS Grid: TM134778

Mapcode National: GBR TJ5.C9W

Mapcode Global: VHL9F.L0HT

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032794

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280382

Location: Stuston, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP21

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Stuston

Built-Up Area: Stuston

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Stuston All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Stuston

Listing Text

STUSTON CHURCH LANE (WEST SIDE)
TM 17 NW
2/93 Church of All Saints
29.7.55
-- II*

Parish church. C12 or C13 tower, raised in C14. Nave, south porch and
chancel rebuilt in C15. Chancel restored thoroughly with addition of north
transept and north vestry in 1860-2. Refenestrated and tower restored 1877-8.
Flint rubble with ashlar dressings. Grey Staffordshire tiled roofs,
decoratively banded. Short nave with south porch and north vestry, chancel as
wide and slightly shorter with north transept, round west tower. Tower is
tall in proportion to rest of building with some bricks in flint rubble. To
west a C13 lancet with a hollow chamfered surround,above it a small quatrefoil
opening. String course to C14 octagonal belfry, irregular quoining, 4 twin
louvred openings with curvilinear traceried arched heads. String course to
C15 English bond red brick parapet. Nave west wall is unbuttressed with a
half height offset, coped parapet. Nave to south has two 2-light C19 windows
following C15 precursors with traceried arched heads, stone quoins and
voussoirs. Gabled and unbuttressed south porch has an outer double chamfered
pointed arch with hoodmould, above a cusped niche with ogee hoodmould, coped
gable parapet with ridge cross, lancets in returns. Inner entrance has C15
wave and hollow moulded pointed arch with hoodmould, old boarded door with
iron strap hinges, stoup with semi-circular bowl in east jamb of entrance
arch. Nave to north is similar, C19 vestry replacing earlier north porch,
outer 2-light window, coped gable parapet. Inner entrance arch, C15, as to
south with a similar door. Coped gable parapets with ridge crosses on nave
and chancel to east. A C19 2 stage buttress to south where nave meets
chancel. Chancel is all but entirely C19. To south a central pointed arched
door and 1861 datestone, flanking 2-light window with unusual tracery. 3-
light east window, south-east 2 stage diagonal buttress. North east 2 stage
angle buttresses. North transept has a 2-light window to north gable end,
east return has 2 trefoil openings, west return has a door and 1862 datestone.
Interior: sharply pointed, unarticulated low tower arch. Nave: early
brickwork to broad rear arches of 3 windows, rood loft stairs to north with a
hollow chamfered lower opening to upper opening with early brickwork and a
restored segmental head, to south a C15 piscina with cusped head and a round
headed niche for an image, roof ceiled in C19 with applied bosses and ribbing,
C16 and C17 moulded wall plates. Pointed chancel arch in polychrome brick;
red, yellow and black, respond caps and bases. Similar polychrome brickwork
to all chancel and transept openings. Chancel south wall piscina with a
chamfered pointed arch. C19 chancel roof has collars to king posts, applied
bosses. C15 font has a simple octagonal bowl with moulded cap and base to
octagonal stem. Gothic pulpit of 1861 is richly panelled, crocketed and
finialed, Gothic reading desk. Chancel north wall monument to J. Castleton,
d.1727, and family: varied marbles, projecting pedestal with moulded base and
cornice, inscription, on this rest busts of Castleton and wife, 3 oval
medallion busts of children, aedicular surround, fluted pilasters, open
pediment on consoles surmounted by arms in cartouche and 2 funerary urns.
Adjacent are C17 and C18 tomb slabs. Reset in north transept are 2 late C18
headstones. Chancel south wall plain marble tablet with base and cornice to
R. Clarke, d. 1832, and wife, arms above. Late C19 stained glass.


Listing NGR: TM1346177857

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.