History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Battlesea Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Stradbroke, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3311 / 52°19'52"N

Longitude: 1.2514 / 1°15'5"E

OS Eastings: 621635

OS Northings: 275316

OS Grid: TM216753

Mapcode National: GBR VKV.Z1L

Mapcode Global: VHL9H.MNYT

Entry Name: Battlesea Hall

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Last Amended: 18 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032848

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280203

Location: Stradbroke, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP21

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Stradbroke

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Stradbroke All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Wingfield

Listing Text

STRADBROKE BATTLESEA GREEN
TM 27 NW

1/83 Battlesea Hall
- (formerly listed as
29.7.55 The Rookery)

-- II

Farmhouse. Early C17 main range with c.1700 cross-wing to right, flush at the
front. Set forward of the wing is a smaller C19 addition. C18, C19 and C20
alterations. Main range is timber framed, partly plastered and partly faced
in colourwashed brick. Cross-wing of brick, nearly all colourwashed. Rear
gable end rebuilt c.1900. Plaintiled roofs: old tiles only on the outer slope
of the cross-wing. Ridge tiles. 2 storeys with attic to wing. Mid C20
casement windows without glazing bars. In gable end of cross-wing, adjacent to
the later addition, a half-glazed C19 door and C20 open wooden porch.
Internal stack: base with inset panels front and rear; sawtooth shaft with C20
cap. Side wall of wing has a large segmental-headed window, partly lighting
the stair. To right of this is a curious arched recess with moulded surround,
raised springers and key. Blind window panel above. Interior considerably
altered with little of structure visible. In the wing is a good early-mid C17
closed-string stair with vase balusters and square panelled newels; half-
balusters and panelling against the wall. This stair has almost certainly
been brought here from a larger house. In C18 the attic was used as a Roman
Catholic chapel by a branch of the Fox family who lived here. A raised
gallery with various sections of re-used balustrading still survives; the
pulpit and other fittings were removed in C19. Extending south east from the
house is part of a medieval moated system.


Listing NGR: TM2163575316

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.