History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stradbroke, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3185 / 52°19'6"N

Longitude: 1.2734 / 1°16'24"E

OS Eastings: 623191

OS Northings: 273980

OS Grid: TM231739

Mapcode National: GBR VL2.QR7

Mapcode Global: VHL9J.1Z0H

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032854

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280214

Location: Stradbroke, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP21

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Stradbroke

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Stradbroke All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Stradbroke

Listing Text

STRADBROKE CHURCH STREET
TM 27 SW

8/94 Church of All Saints
-
29.7.55
GV II*

Parish church. Medieval, considerably restored 1871-2 and 1879. Nave,
chancel, north and south aisles (both with chancel chapels), west tower, north
and south porches, north vestry. Flint rubble, mostly faced in knapped flint
except for the tower; stone dressings. Slated roofs to nave and chancel,
aisle roofs leaded. Fine C15 tower in 4 stages with a crenellated parapet.
Flushwork to buttresses and parapet, stone panelling to plinth. Polygonal
stair turret on south side rises above parapet. Moulded west doorway enriched
with crowns and fleurons; rose-carved spandrels. Above is a tall 3-light
window flanked by canopied image niches. 2-light belfry openings. Nave has
Cl4 origins, with C15 clerestorey and aisles. Perpendicular-style windows,
mostly renewed or much restored. A range of 10 2-light clerestorey windows,
arranged in 4 pairs with single window at each end. C15 porches, both much
restored. C14 chancel, refaced 1879. Restored 2-light south window; 5-light
east window of 1879. Both windows have C14 internal hoodmoulds with carved
stops, the east window also with shafting. Interior. 5-bay aisle arcades of
C14 date. Chancel arch and all but one of the chapel arches reformed in
1870's. C15 nave roof, repaired 1871-2: arch-braced embattled tie beams with
C19 painted texts; arched-braced principal rafters; fleuron bosses, many
original. Chancel and aisle roofs replaced in 1870's. South chapel roof
restored. North chancel wall has fine C15 canopied niche with a trellis vault
represented inside. Drop-sill sedilia with trefoil-headed niches in each
reveal. C19 piscina. North chapel has original piscina and aumbry. Tower
stair has good original door enriched with fleurons. C15 octagonal font, the
bowl panels carved alternately with angels bearing shields and with the signs
of the Evangelists; inscribed plinth. Late C19 furnishings. In the chancel a
wall monument to Elizabeth White ( 1840). In the base of the tower is a
series of photographs showing the church before, during and after the
restoration, including interior views.


Listing NGR: TM2319173980

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.