This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3106 / 52°18'38"N
Longitude: 1.3664 / 1°21'59"E
OS Eastings: 629573
OS Northings: 273391
OS Grid: TM295733
Mapcode National: GBR WMQ.489
Mapcode Global: VHL9R.M6Q0
Entry Name: Stadhaugh Manor Farmhouse
Listing Date: 29 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1032872
English Heritage Legacy ID: 280154
Location: Laxfield, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP13
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Laxfield
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Laxfield All Saints
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
LAXFIELD BANYARD'S GREEN
TM 27 SE
4/34 Stadhaugh Manor Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Mid C16 with slightly later wing to rear forming L-shape plan.
Restored 1867 and again early C20. Timber framed and plastered, partly lined
to imitate ashlar. Plaintiled roof with crest tiles. Scalloped bargeboards
to all gables. 2 storeys and attic. 3-cell main range. 3 windows to ground
floor, 2 small-paned sashes and a matching casement window; one sash window
only to first floor. Lobby entrance: mid C19 porch, the door with 2 glazed
upper panels; moulded architrave and cornice, probably of stone. One gabled
dormer. Internal stack rebuilt in white brick. Above the road gable a C19
wind vane with the date 1602. Rear range has mainly old casement windows.
Front range considerably modernised internally. Moulded bridging beam in
hall. Also in the hall a good early C17 overmantel with elaborate carving,
including flowers enclosed by guilloche work. More of the structure is
visible in the rear range: a first floor ceiling with moulded joists and a
blocked window with moulded square mullions. The end portion of this range
has been lost. Roof over main range has clasped purlins, over rear range
clasped and butt purlins, both roofs with arched wind-bracing. In 1718 John
Smith left the property to the parish for the purpose of endowing a school, in
whose ownership it remained until c.1950. Remains of medieval moat.
Listing NGR: TM2957373391
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings