History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Syleham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3642 / 52°21'51"N

Longitude: 1.2371 / 1°14'13"E

OS Eastings: 620492

OS Northings: 278952

OS Grid: TM204789

Mapcode National: GBR VKG.MLJ

Mapcode Global: VHL99.DTCY

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032919

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280061

Location: Syleham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP21

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Syleham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Syleham St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Brockdish

Listing Text

SYLEHAM
TM 27 NW
5/112 Church of St. Mary
-
29.7.55
-- II*

Parish church. Medieval. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Flint rubble
with stone dressings. Nave roof tiled, chancel plaintiled. Round tower, the
lower part of C12 or earlier. C14 belfry stage with 4 cinquefoil-headed
lancet openings; chequer pattern flushwork around the base and the openings.
Red brick crenellated parapet masking a conical tiled roof. Nave originally
C11-12 but much rebuilt C15; some early rubblework to north with possible
remains of long and short work at the north west angle. C15 windows, mostly
original. Good C15 porch: knapped flint facade, entrance arch enriched with
fleurons and crowns, hoodmould with carved stops; over the entrance an empty
canopied niche; original roof. Nave doorway hung with blank shields, with 2
charged shields in the spandrels. Blocked north doorway. C13 chancel: 2
original lancet windows to north and one larger cinquefoil-headed lancet; late
C14 and C15 windows to south; C19 east window in Decorated style. Interior.
Nave re-roofed 1891, re-using many medieval components: arch-braced
construction with bracing and pendants below the ridge. Chancel roof probably
also C19. Entrance to former rood loft stair retains small traces of medieval
colouring. In the sanctuary a simple C13 piscina. Plain octagonal font on
C12 base with large volutes. Pyramidal font cover dated 1667. Restored C17
pulpit on C19 base. Late C17 altar rails with twisted balusters. On the
north wall of the nave are C19 framed copies of the Lord's Prayer,
Commandments and Creed. In the chancel 3 wall monuments of mid C18 and early
C19 date.


Listing NGR: TM2049278952

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.