History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Monks Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Syleham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.36 / 52°21'36"N

Longitude: 1.2319 / 1°13'54"E

OS Eastings: 620161

OS Northings: 278470

OS Grid: TM201784

Mapcode National: GBR VKN.08V

Mapcode Global: VHL99.9YM5

Entry Name: Monks Hall

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032921

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280065

Location: Syleham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP21

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Syleham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Syleham St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Brockdish

Listing Text

SYLEHAM
TM 27 NW
5/116 Monk's Hall
-
29.7.55
-- II*

Manor farmhouse. Main range c.1600; earlier wing set forward to left,
remodelled probably early C17, forming L-shape plan to house. Timber framed
and plastered, the main range with exposed studding at the front. Roofs
mainly plaintiled. 2 storeys and attics. 3-cell main range with cross-
passage entry. Some original ovolo-moulded mullioned windows, diamond-leaded,
anti a good C17 mullion and transom window to first floor; other windows at
front are late C18/early C19 casements with large panes. Good original porch,
the upper floor jettied on 3 sides; mutilated balustrading to side openings.
Inside the porch the original studded plank entrance door. Very fine stack
with 4 enriched circular shafts complete with caps and bases. The projecting
wing has a crowstepped brick gable end with circular windows to the upper
floors , corbelled eaves pinnacles with ball finials and a stack with an inset
panel in the base. One side-wall of this wing has a C17 splayed first floor
window. Interior. The hall has complete oak panelling, much of it original;
over the fireplace part of an elaborate early C17 overmantel brought from
Ufford Place near Woodbridge c.1940. At lower end of hall a plank and muntin
screen with a painted overdoor depicting Solomon's Judgement (said to be late
C17). Ovolo-moulded beam and joists to hall ceiling. Parlour has complete
pine panelling of early C18 and a contemporary bolection-moulded fireplace
with painted overmantel. Parlour chamber has fireplace of similar date,
flanked by pilasters, with painted overmantel; good C19 cast iron grate with
tiled surround. On both chimney breasts there are remains of fresco paintings
(normally concealed and not seen during survey). Earlier wing probably has
C15 core: evidence of sooting on some members and also of diamond-mullioned
windows. Good first floor stuccoed fireplace with 4-centre arch and quoined
surround. There is a small gap between the 2 wings and at first floor level
is the remains of C16 incised geometric pargetting on the former outside wall
of the earlier range.


Listing NGR: TM2016178470

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.