This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3774 / 52°22'38"N
Longitude: 1.3539 / 1°21'13"E
OS Eastings: 628373
OS Northings: 280773
OS Grid: TM283807
Mapcode National: GBR WLR.T9X
Mapcode Global: VHL9C.FH2W
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalen
Listing Date: 29 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1032948
English Heritage Legacy ID: 280028
Location: Mendham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP20
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Mendham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Withersdale
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
MENDHAM WITHERSDALE, METFIELD ROAD
TM 28 SE
2/79 Church of St. Mary
Parish church of the former Withersdale parish, united with Mendham since
1885. Medieval. Nave, chancel, south porch. Flint rubble, with remains of
old plasterwork to north and cement render to the south; C18 red brick east
end. Plaintiled roof to nave, the south slope with concrete tiles; black
pantiles to chancel. The nave is C11 or earlier; the quoins at the west end
are composed of field stones. In the north wall is the remains of a blocked
Cll-C12 doorway. C13 south doorway and early plank door. The north and south
nave walls each have a small probably C13 window and a 2-light square-headed
Perpendicular window; the Perpendicular window on the north side has been
renewed. At the west end the roof is surmounted by a square belfry: this is
timber framed and weatherboarded with a C20 pyramidal plaintiled roof. C16
timber framed porch with original mullioned windows visible inside. Early C14
chancel: one lancet window and one Y-traceried window to each side wall; 3-
light wooden east window with double-chamfered head. Interior. No chancel
arch. 3-bay side purlin nave roof of vernacular form, probably of C16 date.
At the west end of the nave 2 pairs of heavy arched braces support the belfry:
these are C16 or earlier. In the sanctuary a cinquefoil-arched piscina. C12
carved square font bowl on modern base. The nave has a set of 8 early C17-
benches, the ends with vertical moulding and 3 turned knobs on top. 2 C18 box
pews. One bench in the chancel has poppyhead ends and linenfold panelling.
C17 2-decker pulpit complete with backboard and tester. C17 turned altar
rails. A medieval beam spans the east end of the chancel and passes through
the exterior wall where it is pinned: this may have supported the Lenten Veil.
On the east chancel wall are C19 framed copies of the Lord's Prayer, Creed and
Commandments. C18 west gallery. Arms of George III on north nave wall.
Listing NGR: TM2837380773
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings