History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stow Lodge Hospital

A Grade II Listed Building in Onehouse, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1926 / 52°11'33"N

Longitude: 0.9735 / 0°58'24"E

OS Eastings: 603334

OS Northings: 259099

OS Grid: TM033590

Mapcode National: GBR SJL.DY5

Mapcode Global: VHKDN.T4HZ

Entry Name: Stow Lodge Hospital

Listing Date: 22 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032951

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279932

Location: Onehouse, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Onehouse

Built-Up Area: Stowmarket

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Onehouse St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Stowmarket

Listing Text

ONEHOUSE UNION ROAD
TM 05 NW

2/157 Stow Lodge Hospital
-
- II

Hospital; built 1781 as The Union Workhouse. (A "House of Industry under the
Gilbert Act" according to White's Directory 1855). Red brick. Slated roof
with modillioned wooden eaves cornice. Two deep internal chimneys of red
brick. A:B:C:B:A. A central entrance block of 3 windows with a modillioned
pediment above; in the tympanium is a painted wooden sundial with cartouche
surround. Flanking set-back ranges of 5 windows each, and hipped terminal
blocks of 2 windows. 3 storeys throughout. Sashes with small panes; the
normal form has a flat arch of gauged brick. The ground storey windows of
Blocks A and B are recessed within shallow round arches of gauged brick
springing from bands of painted stone; the windows are also round-arched and
the glazing bars radiate into the head. The centre block has tripartite
sashes with cambered heads. Two outer windows at 1st storey have round-arched
heads with brick keystones: small pane casements with transomes and radiating
mullions rising into the head. The entrance was remodelled in mid C20 to
provide a porte-cochere linked to a single-storey office. At either end of
the building is an original rear wing of 2 storeys and 4 windows. Other C20
extensions to side and rear, not of special interest.


Listing NGR: TM0333459099

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.