History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Fox and Goose

A Grade II* Listed Building in Fressingfield, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3485 / 52°20'54"N

Longitude: 1.3185 / 1°19'6"E

OS Eastings: 626114

OS Northings: 277453

OS Grid: TM261774

Mapcode National: GBR WM2.Q58

Mapcode Global: VHL9J.S7WH

Entry Name: The Fox and Goose

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Last Amended: 21 October 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032967

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279965

Location: Fressingfield, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP21

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Fressingfield

Built-Up Area: Fressingfield

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Fressingfield St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Fressingfield

Listing Text

FRESSINGFIELD BACK ROAD
TM 27 NE
10/16
- The Fox & Goose
(formerly listed as
29.7.55 Fox and Goose Inn)
GV II*

Former guildhall, now a public house and restaurant. Described as newly built
in a document of February 1509. Altered 1616 (as dated on door lintol on the
north front). Timber framed: the north front and the ground floor of the east
gable end have good exposed studding with original plain and herringbone brick
nogging in alternate panels. The remainder is plastered. Plaintiled roof,
with concrete tiles on the north slope. Shaped bargeboards. 2 storeys and
attic. Jettied first floor to north and east, carried on plain brackets;
moulded and embattled bressummer. On its north face the corner post has a
much weathered canopied figure of St. Margaret of Antioch and the dragon;
another figure on the east face is indistinct but may be the same design. A
range of 7 square-leaded C18 casement windows to the north front, and a
central blocked doorway with the dated lintol. To the south a wide C19 porch
with shaped bargeboards and spike finial; C20 door. Mounted at first floor
level a large boarded segmental-headed inn sign, probably C19. 3 stacks, 2
internal and one at the west gable end; all are later insertions and have C19
shafts. The structure is in 7 bays; an 8th bay at the west end is missing.
Plain but substantial timbering. At the east end there appears to have been
4-bay long rooms on ground and first floors. The west end has been altered
and little can be deduced. Evidence for one original partition on the upper
floor, with a blocked 4-centre arched doorway. Queen-post roof carried on
slightly cambered tie beams, the heavy braces to the wall posts now mostly
missing.


Listing NGR: TM2611477453

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.