History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Peters Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Bricett, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1169 / 52°7'0"N

Longitude: 0.9775 / 0°58'39"E

OS Eastings: 603954

OS Northings: 250687

OS Grid: TM039506

Mapcode National: GBR SKK.7YY

Mapcode Global: VHKF1.W2M1

Entry Name: St Peters Court

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032975

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279883

Location: Great Bricett, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP7

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Great Bricett

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Great Bricett St Mary and St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Ringshall

Listing Text

GREAT BRICETT THE STREET
TM 05 SW

5/108 St. Peter's Court

9.12.55

- II

House; c.1500, with early and late C16 alterations. A 3-cell house, the
nucleus consisting of an open hall of Wealden type. 2 storeys. Timber-framed
and plastered; the close-studding of all 3 phases fully exposed with plaster
infill panels. Plaintiled roof with axial C17 chimney of red brick. Mainly
late C20 oak cavetto-mullioned windows, many in original openings. C20 oak-
framed entrance porch with plank door; reused C17 ovolo-mullioned windows in
the porch with leaded glazing. The 2-bay open hall is all that survives of
the original house, formerly having a cross-entry to right. The open truss
has a cambered tie-beam with cranked arch braces and shafts beneath (one
damaged). Evidence for a crownpost (roof renewed C20). Good tension-braced
close studding. The upper wall framing, although damaged, gives clear
evidence for Wealden-type construction, although with unusual details: the
flying wall-plate at the overhanging eaves has been removed, but mortices for
its supporting braces remain. The rear wall has had reversed assembly at the
open truss, and the crownpost was not central upon its tie-beam. These
features are all associated with the asymmetrical roof over a Wealden house.
What is not normal is evidence for an unjettied service cell to right of the
hall, implying that the flying wallplate continued to the end of the building.
Circa 1530, an upper floor was inserted over the lower bay of the hall; a fine
moulded and brattished beam supporting the roll-and-cavetto moulded joists; a
similarly moulded dais beam was attached to the upper end of the hall. Also
c.1530 the service cell was demolished and a parlour block built; it has a
massive moulded bridging beam and unchamfered joists. An external doorway at
this end has an arched head with sunk spandrels. In late C16, the original
parlour cell to left was rebuilt, with good close-studding, 2-tier butt-purlin
roof, and arched parlour fireplace.


Listing NGR: TM0395450687

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.