This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1812 / 52°10'52"N
Longitude: 0.9451 / 0°56'42"E
OS Eastings: 601443
OS Northings: 257745
OS Grid: TM014577
Mapcode National: GBR SJQ.CQ3
Mapcode Global: VHKDN.BFGS
Entry Name: The Old Forge
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1032978
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279891
Location: Great Finborough, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Great Finborough
Built-Up Area: Great Finborough
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Great Finborough St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
GREAT FINBOROUGH THE GREEN
TM 05 NW
2/116 The Old Forge
House, formerly blacksmith's house. Early C16 with alterations of C17. 3-
cell lobby-entrance plan since C17. One storey and attics. Timber-framed and
plastered. Plaintiled roof, formerly thatched. Axial chimneys of C18 red
brick. Two C18 gabled dormers with C19 casements. Two C19 small-pane sashes.
Mid C20 gabled entrance porch with boarded door; to right is a C19 stable-type
boarded door. Good C16 close-studding in parlour to left, with diamond
mullioned window evidence. The service cell to right is a C17/C18 extension.
The central chimney with altered open fireplace is a C17 insertion. Attached,
and set back to left is a greatly altered range of C17/C18 origin, formerly
containing the forge.
Listing NGR: TM0144357745
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings