History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Little Finborough, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.156 / 52°9'21"N

Longitude: 0.9495 / 0°56'58"E

OS Eastings: 601858

OS Northings: 254963

OS Grid: TM018549

Mapcode National: GBR SJY.T04

Mapcode Global: VHKDV.D2TJ

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032984

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279904

Location: Little Finborough, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Little Finborough

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Little Finborough St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Buxhall

Listing Text

LITTLE FINBOROUGH BILDESTON ROAD
TM 05 SW

5/129 Church of St. Mary
9.12.55

- II*

Parish church, medieval with alterations of 1856. Nave and chancel, with
C19/C2O vestry on north side. Flint rubble with freestone dressings; south
side of nave and part of north is rendered, some remodelling in C16 brick on
north side. Concrete plaintiled roofs; a C19 bellcote at the west gable of
flint rubble and ashlar in the Decorated style. A mid C14 two-light window at
south west corner, and two others renewed in C19. The east window also of C14
with intersecting tracery, restored C19. Two early C16 south chancel windows
with square heads. South doorway of C14 with segmental-pointed head; the
shafted jambs perhaps of earlier origin. C17 butt-purlin roof to nave. Over
the rood beam is a coat of arms dated 1767. A thorough restoration including
interior refurbishing took place 1856.


Listing NGR: TM0185854963

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.