This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1695 / 52°10'10"N
Longitude: 0.9776 / 0°58'39"E
OS Eastings: 603720
OS Northings: 256542
OS Grid: TM037565
Mapcode National: GBR SJS.VB1
Mapcode Global: VHKDN.WQPQ
Entry Name: Trickers Green Farmhouse
Listing Date: 22 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033004
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279849
Location: Combs, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Combs
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Combs St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
COMBS JACKS LANE
TM 05 NW
2/74 Trickers Green Farmhouse
Former farmhouse. Circa 1500 with C16 and later alterations. One storey with.
attics. 3-cell plan with cross-entry. Timber-framed and plastered. Thatched
roof, hipped to right (formerly also half-hipped to left). Axial chimney, the
shaft rebuilt mid C20 in red brick; a plastered C18/C19 end chimney to left.
Mid C20 small-pane casements, those at upper storey with eyebrows at the
eaves. Mid C20 panelled door in gabled porch at cross-entry position.
Although the structure is typical for a better quality house of c.1500, the
layout is exceptional: the open hall was of 3 bays when built, and would have
been at least 9m long. (The left hand bay was demolished and rebuilt later in
C16, in the form of a conventional storeyed service cell). A cross-entry has
one 4-centred arched doorway, but this may also be an alteration. One of the
open trusses remains, with cambered tiebeam and massive archbraces of 4-
centred form. A 6-light hall window with diamond mullions is in the upper
(right hand) bay. Good close studding with unusually long windbraces of both
arch and tension form, smoke-encrusted roof of coupled rafter or crownpost
form. At the "upper" end is a storeyed cell with massive floor joists and a
diamond-mullioned window; the ground floor room was subdivided originally at
this end, another rare feature in a medieval house. A wide lintelled open
fireplace of pale buff brick was inserted into the hall in late C16, together
with an upper floor.
Listing NGR: TM0372056542
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings