This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1494 / 52°8'57"N
Longitude: 1.0022 / 1°0'7"E
OS Eastings: 605494
OS Northings: 254373
OS Grid: TM054543
Mapcode National: GBR SK6.85L
Mapcode Global: VHKDW.B75M
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033018
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279781
Location: Battisford, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Battisford
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Battisford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BATTISFORD CHURCH ROAD
TM 05 SE
6/6 Church of St. Mary
Parish church, medieval. Nave, chancel, west bell turret, south porch, north
chapel and north vestry. Random flint rubble, plastered on the south and east
sides. Plaintiled roofs (renewed in concrete plaintiles on the north); the
chapel roof is leaded. The side windows are deeply splayed and probably
remodelled from C12 originals; the narrow square jambed west doorway (blocked)
may also be of C12 origin. In the chapel is an early C14 window with
grotesque corbels, other windows are of mid C14 with Y- and dagger-tracery.
C14 plain doorways to north and south, the latter with original or early door
and with simple porch. The porch threshold is formed of two carved gargoyles
apparently from a tower; the late C18 brick and flint bell turret may be on
the site of a medieval tower. C14 chancel arch, shafted, and with an image
stool with carved angel to the south. The vestry has a C15 window. Good
crownpost roof of late C14 or c.1400, in 4 bays, with arch-braced cambered
tiebeams, octagonal crownposts with moulded capitals and thick 4-way braces.
A wide late C18 balcony at the west end. A mid C14 octagonal limestone font
has varied window tracery on the bowl and a moulded stem. A mid C18 polygonal
oak pulpit with panelled faces, standing on a pillar. A marble C16 floor slab
in the nave has indents for brasses. Marble wall monuments Walter Rust
(1685), John Lewis (1724) and Edward Salten (1724).
Listing NGR: TM0549354374
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings