History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Maypole Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Buxhall, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1819 / 52°10'54"N

Longitude: 0.9297 / 0°55'46"E

OS Eastings: 600387

OS Northings: 257779

OS Grid: TM003577

Mapcode National: GBR SJQ.1WB

Mapcode Global: VHKDN.2FB7

Entry Name: Maypole Farmhouse

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1033033

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279815

Location: Buxhall, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Buxhall

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Buxhall St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Buxhall

Listing Text

BUXHALL RECTORY ROAD
TM 05 NW

2/40 Maypole Farmhouse

9.12.55


V II*
Farmhouse, c.1530 with alterations of c.1570 and later. 2 storeys. T-plan;
the stem of the T is the original structure, with the cross-bar (containing
kitchen and parlour) added later. Timber-framed and plastered; an oversailing
gable tie-beam with vinescroll carving on the north gable. The south gable
oversails similarly but the tie-beam is concealed. Large panels on the south
side with textured plaster in the C17/C18 manner, but probably restored; high
in the gable is a plaster date 1671. The ground storey walling is partially
underbuilt in C19/C20 painted red brick. Beside the road is a late C16 gable
of red brick with diaperwork patterning in burnt headers, restored crowstepped
gables and moulded kneelers. Attached is an internal end chimney with fine
twin circular shafts on octagonal bases; the bricks are carved, one with a
fluted spiral, the other with ribbed zigzags. The north wall of the east
range has a long-wall jetty now enclosed by a C19 pantiled outshut; the joist-
ends are exposed on brackets with shafts and well carved capitals. The upper
walling (enclosed within the roof space) has a range of blocked but probably
complete mullioned windows with moulded cills. Concrete plaintiled roofs: an
axial chimney of late C16 or early C17 red brick, a square plinth with a sunk
plastered panel, 4 attached octagonal shafts on moulded bases. Mid C20
casements on the south side, an C18 or early C19 lunette window in the south
gable has small panes; some C18/C19 casements in other walls. C19 lean-to
entrance porch of brick with C20 half-glazed panelled door. Main 1st floor
members of both phases have roll-and-cavetto mouldings; the main chamber of
the east wing has a ceiling similarly moulded. Blocked late C16 windows with
roll-moulded mullions. Wind braced clasped-purlin roofs. Much of the C16
work remains concealed internally. N.M.R.


Listing NGR: TM0038757779

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.