History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Winston Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Winston, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2102 / 52°12'36"N

Longitude: 1.189 / 1°11'20"E

OS Eastings: 617974

OS Northings: 261682

OS Grid: TM179616

Mapcode National: GBR VMB.FF7

Mapcode Global: VHLB1.KQF0

Entry Name: Winston Hall

Listing Date: 22 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1033052

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279757

Location: Winston, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Winston

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Winston St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Debenham

Listing Text

WINSTON CHURCH LANE
TM 16 SE
1/138
Winston Hall

GV II

Farmhouse; mid C16 core, with major remodelling of 1897 as on terracotta
plaque on gable of cross-wing. All external features of the latter date
unless otherwise stated. 2 storeys. Timber-framed, mainly encased in red
brick; the south side retains earlier plasterwork. Plaintiled roof with brick
crowstepped gables; axial chimneys of red brick. Mainly large-pane sashes
with cambered heads. Parapet-gabled entrance porch of red brick with 6-
panelled door. The 2-bay hall has a massive C16 binding beam with a broad
chamfer, and roll mouldings in the soffit; large altered C16 fireplace with
cambered lintel. The chamber over the hall has a strongly-cambered tie-beam,
close-studding and coupled rafter roof. The parlour cell at west end was
probably adapted from a C16 service cell; plain exposed framing. A rear dairy
wing was added c.1800, and a large parlour cross-wing at the east end in 1897.


Listing NGR: TM1797461682

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.