This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1714 / 52°10'17"N
Longitude: 1.2004 / 1°12'1"E
OS Eastings: 618942
OS Northings: 257405
OS Grid: TM189574
Mapcode National: GBR VMQ.Y0B
Mapcode Global: VHLB7.RPG7
Entry Name: Front Lodge and Screen Wall to Left
Listing Date: 22 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033078
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279718
Location: Helmingham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Helmingham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Helmingham St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
HELMINGHAM IPSWICH ROAD
TM 15 NE
No 161 (Front Lodge)
and screen wall to left
Lodge cottage, one of a pair at the entrance to the south east approach to
Helmingham Hall (known as Oak Walk). Probably c.1841 by Anthony Salvin, in
the Tudor Style. Red brick with diaper patterning in black headers.
Octagonal corner buttresses of red brick; a continuous moulded limestone
cornice at base of parapet. At the head of each buttress is a circular shaft
of carved brick and terracotta onion finials. Crowstepped parapet gables with
heavy corbelled finials matching those at corners. Plaintiled roofs; a pair
of chimneys of red brick with octagonal bases and circular flues of carved
brick. One storey and attics. Two large bay windows with stone mullions and
transomes, embattled parapets and leaded lights; in each gable is a similar 2-
light window lighting the attic. At the left hand end is a 5m length of
screen wall of red brick, embattled, with moulded copings of red brick.
Listing NGR: TM1894257405
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings