History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ashbocking Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ashbocking, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1468 / 52°8'48"N

Longitude: 1.1704 / 1°10'13"E

OS Eastings: 617011

OS Northings: 254570

OS Grid: TM170545

Mapcode National: GBR VN2.8QZ

Mapcode Global: VHLBF.79LM

Entry Name: Ashbocking Hall

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1033081

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279622

Location: Ashbocking, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Ashbocking

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Ashbocking All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Ashbocking

Listing Text

ASHBOCKING CHURCH LANE
TM 15 SE
7/3 Ashbocking Hall
9.12.55
GV II*
Former manor house, c.1530 with alterations of c.1630, 1755 and early C19.
Timber-framed and plastered; the main range encased in plastered brick along
front (garden) elevation. The west elevation has an exposed long-wall
jetty of c.1530 with two brackets rising from shafts with capitals. Under the
jetty is some C17 plasterwork with small raised rusticated panels. Plaintiled
roofs with C19 undulating bargeboards and spike finials. Two good external
and rear chimneys of mid or late C16 red brick with, on one, diaper patterning
in burnt headers. Both chimneys have triple octagonal flues mainly rebuilt in
C19 and C20 with diagonally-set square shafts. Two storeys and attics, 7
windows. Early C19 small-pane sashes, some renewed in C20. Early C19
entrance doorway with moulded cornice. The parlour wing at the west end has
much C16 and early C17 work: a C16 brick buttress at the south west corner has
two arched niches of uncertain purpose. Some main beams and joists have
multiple roll mouldings. A fine wide Caen stone fireplace in the hall of late
C16 or early C17 has a 4-centred arched lintel with carved spandrels and an
arabesque frieze with traces of colour. The parlour wing roof is of interest
as a hybrid early C16 type with principal rafters and butt purlins with heavy
wind-braces, but each rafter couple having straight collars in the medieval
manner. A chamber has a fine but altered plaster ceiling of c.1630 with
moulded ribs, and roses and fleurs-de-lys at intersections. Another chamber
has complete early C17 wainscotting with Corinthian pilasters. In the main
range beneath a staircase is a large plaster cartouche bearing the date 1755,
the probable date of major rebuilding. Much internal refurbishing of c.1800.
Incomplete surrounding medieval moat.


Listing NGR: TM1701154570

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.