History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Westhorpe Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Westhorpe, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2824 / 52°16'56"N

Longitude: 1.0057 / 1°0'20"E

OS Eastings: 605122

OS Northings: 269170

OS Grid: TM051691

Mapcode National: GBR SHG.WLN

Mapcode Global: VHKD3.DW1P

Entry Name: Westhorpe Hall

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Last Amended: 14 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1033105

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279573

Location: Westhorpe, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Westhorpe

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Westhorpe St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Finningham

Listing Text

WESTHORPE THE GREEN (NORTH SIDE)
TM 06 NE
5/117 Westhorpe Hall (formerly
29.7.55 listed as Hall
Farmhouse and bridge
over Moat)

GV II

House, originally built as part of offices to earlier Hall, now an old
peoples' home. Late C16 and early C17 timber frame and plastered range with
early C18 English bond red brick main block remodelled in late C18, all
altered C20. Built for Edmonds and Barrow families. Plaintiled and machine
tiled roofs, steeply pitched on early range. Main block has a 3 cell lobby
entry plan. 2 storeys and attic, perhaps taller originally. Entrance to left
of centre has C20 doors, reused C16 stone pediment, cyma moulded with a Tudor
rose, above a terracotta panel with arms of C. Brandon flanked by eagles. C20
2 and 3-light casements, ground floor segmental heads. Plinth, plat band,
timber wall plate to sprocket eaves. 3 part opening 3-light gabled dormers
with bargeboards, ridge stack to left of centre. To rear a catslide roof over
an early lean-to outshut from right or service end, to left a C19 pantiled
lean-to outshut. Attached to right end of C18 block a low C20 link to earlier
range at right angles towards rear, the whole forming an L on plan. 3 bays
with 4 bays added to rear in C17. 2 storeys and attic. Front gable end has
an early external stack with a rebuilt cap, an oven lean-to to left and a
later lean-to to front, C20 casements. Right return has scattered casements,
early brick footings leading down into moat, towards rear a C19 inserted ridge
stack. In C17 addition to rear a 4-light diamond mullioned window on first
floor, 2 rear bays of this build reduced to 1 storey in C19. Interior:
altered C18 block has ogee stop chamfered cross axial binding beams and
joists, to rear right an original chamfered doorway into lean-to, collars
clasp purlins in roof with ridge piece. C16 bays have altered framing on
ground floor, outer wall largely rebuilt, a large 5-light diamond mullioned
window opening to front gable end. First floor reverse curved arched bracing
in close studded walls, large 7 and 8-light diamond mullioned window openings,
roof has lower butt purlins, upper purlins clasped by collars and halved
principals, upper arched windbraces. C17 bays are close studded, 4-light
diamond mullioned window openings, cranked arched braces to a cambered tie
beam, collars and halved principals clasp purlins, arched windbraces. The
existing Hall lies on the east side of a fully moated site, to the west was
the C15 and C16 Hall that was demolished c.1764. Here lived Mary Tudor (1496-
1533), daughter of Henry VII, who after her marriage to Louis XII of France in
October 1514 was crowned in November of the same year and widowed on January
1st 1515. She returned to England and married Charles Brandon, Duke of
Suffolk. Here Mary died in 1533. Immediately south east of the surviving
buildings are medieval flint and brick footings of an earlier Hall built for
the Elmham family, diagonal buttressing and remains of a postern bridge.
(East Anglian Miscellany, vol.7, 1913, pp.97-111 and vol. 8, 1914, pp.1-26).


Listing NGR: TM0512269170

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.