History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Yew Tree Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Wyverstone, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2682 / 52°16'5"N

Longitude: 0.9804 / 0°58'49"E

OS Eastings: 603462

OS Northings: 267522

OS Grid: TM034675

Mapcode National: GBR SHM.NPX

Mapcode Global: VHKD8.Y851

Entry Name: Yew Tree Cottage

Listing Date: 14 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1033108

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279582

Location: Wyverstone, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Wyverstone

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Wyverstone St George

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Cotton

Listing Text

WYVERSTONE MILL ROAD (NORTH SIDE)
TM 06 NW
4/126 Yew Tree Cottage
-
- II

House, conceived as a folly/eyecatcher. 1831 for Rev. W.C. Steggall, altered
C20. Mixed timber frame, brick, flint and clay lump rubble, all rendered.
Thatched and pantiled roofs. Picturesque style. Cruciform plan; 2 storey
unequal octagon with 1 storey wings from 2 long sides. To left short end of
octagon a blocked entrance with a pedimental hoodboard, above a stone with a
crowned lion mask, probably from Westhorpe Hall, The Green, Westhorpe Civil
Parish (q.v.). On first floor a 2-light glazing bar flush frame casement with
date 1831 on lintel, pedimental hood. Canted returns have ground floor 2-
light casements with pedimental hoods. Opposite on right short end of octagon
a disused architraved boarded door with a pedimental hood, above another
reused stone from Westhorpe Hall, a 2-light casement with 'WCS' in lintel,
pedimental hood, canted returns as to left. Pyramidal thatched roof with
central axial white brick ridge stack. 1 storey wings have hipped pantiled
roofs, an entrance in a C20 porch to right, returns have casements with
pedimental hoods. Interior not inspected. Almost certainly designed to be
seen from the then new Rectory, now The Manor, Rectory Road (q.v.).


Listing NGR: TM0346267522

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.