This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2831 / 52°16'59"N
Longitude: 1.0285 / 1°1'42"E
OS Eastings: 606675
OS Northings: 269313
OS Grid: TM066693
Mapcode National: GBR TJT.WBP
Mapcode Global: VHKD3.SW35
Entry Name: Green Farmhouse
Listing Date: 29 July 1955
Last Amended: 14 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033152
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279481
Location: Finningham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Finningham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Finningham St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
FINNINGHAM WICKHAM ROAD (NORTH SIDE)
7/25 Green Farm House (formerly
listed as Green Farmhouse
29.7.55 and barns)
Farmhouse. Mid to late C16, extended early C17 at both ends and again to
right later in C17 all for Frere family; altered and extended C20. Timber
frame, plastered. Steeply pitched plaintiled roofs, some pantiles to rear.
Core is probably 2 storeyed bays with stack to left and apparent cross passage
bay to right, extended with a 2 bay parlour crosswing to left and 3 bays to
right possibly including 'unit house' accommodation with service functions;
later C17 dairy cross wing added to right to form an irregular half H on plan.
2 storeys with attics in cross wings. Long main range has a C20 gabled porch
to centre or into original lower hall bay, C20 3-light casements. Axial ridge
stack to left of main range, broached to 3 octagonal moulded bases, rebuilt
octagonal shafts. Short parlour wing projects slightly to left with C20
casements, acanthus consoles to exposed plates, a glasshouse on 2 bay left
return, gable end to rear projects slightly with a 4-light ovolo mullioned
attic window, acanthus consoles to exposed plates. To far right of main range
is a C19 axial ridge stack to kitchen with 2 octagonal shafts following
earlier stack. Dairy wing extends forward with shaped brackets to exposed
plates in gable front, rear gable does not project, C20 additions to rear.
Interior: much of frame is concealed, hall has a quirked wave moulded cross
axial binding beam, jowled storey posts, ovolo moulded door surround leading
to parlour; In former cross passage bay a reassembled staircase reusing C18
vase balusters, moulded handrail, C19 newel posts with acorn finials,
original right end wall has close studding with a tension brace, arched braces
to cambered tie beams, hall chamber ovolo moulded 4 centred arched brick.
fireplace, inserted ogee stop chamfered binding beams. Roof over early bays
is altered retaining original rafters, 3 bays to right have single butt
purling, collars to principals, arched windbraces. Parlour has ovolo moulded
mid-rails, stop chamfered axial binding beam, ovolo and hollow moulded 4
centred arched brick fireplace, partition removed for stair to rear, parlour
chamber ovolo moulded cross axial binding beam and side girts, double butt
purlin roof, collars to principals, arched windbraces. Dairy wing runout
chamfered binding beams, first floor jewel stopped chamfered binding beam and
runout chamfered joists, roof largely renewed. (East Anglian Miscellany,
vol.14, 1920, pp.85-87).
Listing NGR: TM0667569313
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings