History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Gislingham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3078 / 52°18'28"N

Longitude: 1.0276 / 1°1'39"E

OS Eastings: 606495

OS Northings: 272064

OS Grid: TM064720

Mapcode National: GBR TJM.8M5

Mapcode Global: VHKD3.R8M4

Entry Name: Manor House

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Last Amended: 14 June 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1033163

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279508

Location: Gislingham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Gislingham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Gislingham St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Finningham

Listing Text

GISLINGHAM MILL STREET (NORTH SIDE),
TM 07 SE LITTLE GREEN

2/52 Manor House (formerly
29.7.55 listed as Manor Farmhouse
and barn)

GV II*

Large house. Late C15, extended c.1500, all probably for the Garland family;
stack and floor inserted in C16, extended C17, probably for Smeare family;
reroofed and altered 'GSAW 1813' on stack. Timber frame, plastered with some
colourwashed C19 white brick casing. Slate roofs. Originally 4 bays, a 2 bay
open hall with storeyed lower bay and smoke bay at upper end; early 2 bay
storeyed parlour addition, later 2 bay kitchen/dairy range added to form an L
on plan. Now all 2 storeys. Main range has entrance in original cross
passage position with a 6 fielded panelled door, reeded and lugged architrave,
hall to right has 3 and 4-light C20 casements. To right ground floor of
parlour addition is set back slightly, jettied upper storey projects slightly;
4 exposed moulded shafts, 3 with roll and bell moulded caps to curved brackets
to broad joists, one has a later shaped bracket, at original front angle
corner post has embattled and Tudor flower brattishing, a large curved bracket
to dragon beam. Originally jet tied gable end rebuilt in brick with recessed
casements. Axial ridge stack inserted in smoke bay, cap rebuilt in white
brick with datestone. To rear a first floor 3-light ovolo mullioned window to
stairs in stack bay, lean-to additions from parlour and service bay.
Kitchen/dairy range attached at front angle of service bay has a boarded door
in a C20 open porch, a second dairy door to far left, scattered casements, red
brick right gable end with internal kitchen stack, pantiled lean-to oven
outshuts. Attached to left a C19 weatherboarded and pantiled outbuilding.
Interior: chamfered doorway to service end had a 4 centred arched head,
original pantry/buttery partition, 3-light diamond mullioned window openings,
stop chamfered joists, stairs originally in rear half of service bay. Hall
has close studding, a thick sill probably for an oriel window, inserted stop
chamfered :cross axial binding beam, joists and fireplace bressumer, traces of
4 centred arched door head from hall through smoke bay to parlour; smoke bay
has newel stairs behind inserted stack with a 3-light cavetto mullioned window
opening. Parlour has close studding with chamfered mid-rails, chamfered
crossed binding beams and dragon beam, plain joists, an original 4 centred
arched door head near double jettied corner, chamfered 4 centred arched brick
fireplace. First floor: arched braces to cambered tie beams, braces removed
from open truss, stop chamfered 4 centred arched firplaces. Hall chamber 5-
light diamond mullioned window openings, stop chamfered cross axial binding
beam and joists. Parlour chamber stop chamfered crossed binding beams and
joists with leaf stops, a 4-light window opening with roll and cavetto
mullions and intermediate small diamond mullions, cranked arched braces on end
wall. Stop chamfered joists in original solar. Crown post mortices remain in
tie beams. Kitchen/dairy range has bar and jewel stopped cross axial binding
beams, a 5-light diamond mullioned window opening. The house stands at the
front of a site with a moat of three arms. The Manor was formerly known as
Brands. (East Anglian Miscellany, vol.14, 1920, pp100-8).


Listing NGR: TM0649572064

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.